advertisement

78s

I've occasionally scored interesting 78s in charity shops. The big problem seems to be that either the staff or the punters don't understand how brittle they are - it's pretty much standard to find a good number of them in bits. Even if it's nothing I'm interested in it's sad to see something that's survived 70 years only to get spannered last Thursday.

US Cartoonist Robert Crumb is famously a collector and curator of 78rpm records. There are a few articles around the web where he talks passionately about them and explains how he got into it. One such example here http://matsgus.com/discaholic_corner/?p=2048

Frank Fairfield the US folk musician also collects I believe and has issued at least one compliation of his favourite 78rpm recordings. Wonderfully titled "Unheard Ofs & Forgotten Abouts".

crumb1A4-e1363042399272-1024x775.jpg

I have quite a few 78's (as well as some with different speeds), a dedicated Lenco set to around 70 rpm and a speed controller, so i can reach speeds ftom 68 yo 100 rpm. A DIY phono stage with 5 EQ's, Stereo, Mono. Left and Right makes it quite universal for lateral recordings. Have not yet had the time to try hill and dale recordings like Pathe's, which i may not be able to play back directly but should at least be able to record with the help of audio restauration software.
V-discs are my particular interest, but they are not easy to find reasonably priced and in playable condition.

advertisement

Back