advertisement

777 Engine containment failed

Oh, and engines get swapped out regularly, so certainly not the original engines as speculated.

That VERY much depends on engine reliabily/performance, so that is just conjecture. It is also a fact that PW have not been fitted to 777s for a while.

All modern engines download information about countless engine parameters in real time and are changed out when it makes economic sense to do so. You'd probably be totally horrified at the variation in that variation in life from new.

How many 4-engined aircraft have 2 engines?

I think you missed the point of the Tweet Vinny, this guy says that:

69-C96394-C900-4-C64-B5-C5-5-E9-BBA34-A23-B.jpg

No

Hence my being specific about 4-engined aircraft. Quite apart from the fact that two engines dead from two.........................

I would suggest that YOU missed several points.

Not at all, transatlantic flights can be on two engine aeroplanes.

Tedious I know... but I'll repeat the tale of the RR boss who always insisted on flying on 4 engined planes. When asked why, he replied 'Because there are no 5 engined planes'

Frankly, I feel the same. I rarely fly, but I would be far happier with four engines. The two engine transatlantic thing is a purely economic one. It has little to do with safety.

Not at all, transatlantic flights can be on two engine aeroplanes.
Unless I'm mistaken, all the main 4-engine planes have been discontinued. For 2-engine planes, the ETOPS certification determines how far (in flight time) from an airport suitable for emergency landing they are permitted to fly.

Tedious I know... but I'll repeat the tale of the RR boss who always insisted on flying on 4 engined planes. When asked why, he replied 'Because there are no 5 engined planes'

Frankly, I feel the same. I rarely fly, but I would be far happier with four engines. The two engine transatlantic thing is a purely economic one. It has little to do with safety.
When was the last time a transatlantic flight crashed due to engine failure?

On the flip side, if the DC-10 hadn't had the third (tail) engine, the United Airlines Flight 232 crash wouldn't have happened. More engines also means higher risk of one failing and destroying something else in the process.

Gas turbines don’t like being sat unused and I know for a fact many airlines are not following the OEM guidance on how to care for the engines whilst not being used for such a long period of time. The pressure on a mainline bearing when stationary is immense and it can cause pinpoint damage to the bearing tracks which can have catastrophic effects. Not to mention O ring problems and moisture ingress.
When flights do start to pick up I would expect a whole lot more in flight shut downs/failures. I certainly won’t be getting on a plane right away.

Unless I'm mistaken, all the main 4-engine planes have been discontinued

747's are still in production but probably not for much longer, especially with the advent of C19 which has meant that many have been retired and they will be impossible to sell on in the numbers that are now available.

advertisement

Back