advertisement

774 arm Q

Test discs can cause more problems than they solve. my opinion is go with the manual,keep your eye on the stylus cantilever that will tell you if its right or not.
Hi karma, thanks.

But I seem to recall the 'ideal' test, & this I can understand perfectly too as the evidence is seen/ clearly apparant, is some form of Lp without grooves/ a blank side. Then to place stylus down midway.. & adjust bias until it neither pulls inwards or outwards.

If I do this blank test dialing in the manual figure, the stylus pulls outwards & fairly fast too. This surely, prooves, regardless of any figure on the manual's chart.. that the bias is set incorrectly... no?

So is this blank test somehow inherrantly incorrect then?

Capt

blank discs are not a true representation,theres no grooves,honestly set it to what the manual says and monitor after couple of hrs use how the cantilever is. ie is it still centered?

blank discs are not a true representation,,there's no grooves;,honestly set it to what the manual says and monitor after couple of hrs use how the cantilever is. ie is it still centered?
+1

I just use what the manual says - in about 15 years with one I have never had a problem with mistracking with a variety of cartridges.

+1

I just use what the manual says - in about 15 years with one I have never had a problem with mistracking with a variety of cartridges.
Hi cobbers, sorry but I have no idea what 'mistracking' means, so how it is relevant to what Im trying to do, if I don't even know what it is (& isn't mentioned with regard to setting the weight right in the manual or on the replies) = I'm just further confused by this. Similarly what on god's earth IGD is, another term used in the past few replies just making me more uncertain & confused (in 40 years of owning TT's I've never once said to myself "I can hear a slight distortion on the last song" so have I some superior forces acting on my TT's than everyone else?? Well, it seems almost plausible).

Why this discrepency, is still is what I'm simply trying to ask, if as I believe, the fundamental idea IS to get the stylus in "equilibrium" with regard to the L & R forces, at a midpoint, on an Lp. I know this.. to be true/ to be what to aim for/ to be completely logical; a slight inevitable pull out will be the result prior to this midpoint, & conversely a slight pull inwards onward from this midpoint. You cannot have perfection.. so the midpoint, I know, is the reference point, to get the stylus 'centered' pulling neither L nor R. You cannot tell me.... surely.... that this is total BS-?

2cms.. on the wand with one weight, is a big enough difference to find (2mm's? Meh/ I wouldn't be caring).

Mistracking simply means the stylus is losing contact with the groove wall - either because there is not enough VTF or the bias is completely wrong.
I really don't know why peoples tell you to use a blank disk because it is completely irrelevant to how a stylus works.
Just set your VTF towards the top of the recommended range and your bias to about the same for the arm in the manual (I use 2.1 for a 740ML) and stop worrying and enjoy the music, as you said there is no such thing as perfection - just degrees of imperfection.
Whenever bias is set it will result in the arm pulling outwards

Mistracking simply means the stylus is losing contact with the groove wall - either because there is not enough VTF or the bias is completely wrong.
I really don't know why peoples tell you to use a blank disk because it is completely irrelevant to how a stylus works.
Just set your VTF towards the top of the recommended range and your bias to about the same for the arm in the manual (I use 2.1 for a 740ML) and stop worrying and enjoy the music, as you said there is no such thing as perfection - just degrees of imperfection.
Whenever bias is set it will result in the arm pulling outwards
Ok thanks, so I'll discard the blank Lp then.. even though one of it's tests tells you in detail how to place stylus on track 4 (blank) & set bias so it 'floats' evenly without pulling in or out.

How on earth this test, can be totally wrong, is utterly unfathomable. Tbh I can't understand how it can be deemed incorrect; the rest of the cartridge audio tests on it are so intricate & nerdy. I guess I just put it down to yet another cartridge facet I'll never understand..

Like this mistracking word situation. Ok so you here describe, what it is physically. But why on god's earth, would anyone on pfm (IE those knowledgeable enough with a TT) have their bias set so wrongly, &/or their VTF set so wrongly, in order to actually achieve "mistracking"... is totally & utterly unfathomable to me. After all, as you can tell (& right now it seems according to you) my bias -isn't- correct. Ok it might not be hugely out, but can I discern anything, even a miniscule iota of anything untoward, whatsoever, that I could attribute to my cartridge being in a "mistracking" scenario?? Not a gnat's fraction. So I still have no idea, what on earth, this word means, manifesting into anything I can hear/ have ever heard/ or seemingly will ever hear. But you guys talk about it as if it's a present force, same with Robert & this bizarre IGD abbreviation; he shouldn't ever be in a situation, to have his vtf & bias so far out, to be witnessing such a distortion facet. But he takks about it, again, like it's an ever present force.

I'm continually flummoxed by what you guys natter about with regard to "cartridge physics". Utterly baffled.

Thanks anyway, Capt

IGD is simply a function of an arm that rotates about an axis and the angular error and compression of the information on the inner grooves rather than a linear tracking arm that works the same way as the cutting head.

IGD is simply a function of an arm that rotates about an axis and the angular error and compression of the information on the inner grooves rather than a linear tracking arm that works the same way as the cutting head.

So why, assuming my typical arm is one that 'rotates on an axis'.. I wonder, haven't I ever heard it then in 40 years-?

It's like the Higs boson particle, that everyone else knows exists.. but I'm in 2003 when the two words weren't a 'thing' yet. Ask anyone in 2003 what they think of the concept of the Higs boson, & you'd (rightfully) get a reply thus: "Hig what? Wtf are you talking about?".

Capt

advertisement

Back