advertisement

7 Year Old Car - Flog or Keep?

Interesting to hear him talk about some big old drops though. Lumpy range rovers worth buttons which were huge money not long ago.
I wonder whether this is connected to the reports that RRs are becoming uninsurable in parts of London?

Those that could afford new/nearly new RRs etc can surely afford to jump into EV SUVs etc. And then… who the hell is going to buy the cast-offs? Farmers tend to keep away from modern RRs, too complex and annoying, even if at a bargain price. Hopefully the death-knell for them all.

I wouldn’t have one for free. Don‘t know any farmers who have one, it’s all Toyota or Isuzu.
It’s quite strange. On journeys through the Yorkshire and Durham Dales I see almost nothing but Land Rover products. Those farmers aren’t known for wasting money, so there must have been cracking lease deals on the go.

RRs aren’t for me either, but we had an incredible car hire upgrade about three years ago, and had a 3.0 RR Sport for a week oop north. It was lovely, but having to think about where on earth I was going to park started to annoy me. Massive.

I wonder whether this is connected to the reports that RRs are becoming uninsurable in parts of London?
He mentions this as a factor, along with ULEZ. The rest of it is your classic hard times complaint, there's less money sloshing about so expensive stuff isn't wanted. Those prices fall. Meanwhile he says that sub £4k stock is unaffected, strong demand from people who just want transport without wanting to spend thousands.

I have no doubt the 6s will sound better but twin turbo 4s are more efficient etc.
We are in total agreement on this point :).

I suppose I am a bit of an outlier in terms of the relationship I form with my car. I'll sacrifice to a fair extent top line metrics/spec list for looks, sound and feel. I wouldn't choose my wife on the basis of how quickly she could an iron a shirt or how many varieties of soup she can cook.... :)

I think the reputation for shockingly poor reliability is making them a less attractive new purchase.
But that didn’t affect sales pre-Covid, and neither did the trrrible reputation of many dealerships. A smart suit, a certain image, and lots of aspirational buyers…

It’s quite strange. On journeys through the Yorkshire and Durham Dales I see almost nothing but Land Rover products. Those farmers aren’t known for wasting money, so there must have been cracking lease deals on the go.

RRs aren’t for me either, but we had an incredible car hire upgrade about three years ago, and had a 3.0 RR Sport for a week oop north. It was lovely, but having to think about where on earth I was going to park started to annoy me. Massive.

Maybe there’s a local dealer? Round here there are 2 Subaru dealers which cover the area. Consequently, pretty much every country pile has an Outback outside.

Maybe there’s a local dealer? Round here there are 2 Subaru dealers which cover the area. Consequently, pretty much every country pile has an Outback outside.
If you haven’t seen this, it’s well worth watching

I read somewhere that the RWD 135i is the most crashed car due to the conbination of small car, lots of poke, RWD and the sort of people that drive them.

(I'm probably wrong again though).

In the 1980's I read that the most dangerous car in the US was Corvette and the safest Volvo 240. As you say, most up to the typical driver, not the car.

And that sort of thinking is why many find the change to an EV to their liking. Lots of ‘go’ at all times, no real sound, no excitement.
You might not have noticed my BMW has a manual transmission. You might also not realise I enjoy driving along winding roads, and find the sound of WOT exhaust note rather stirring. But don't let that stop you from generalising about EV drivers.

You might not have noticed my BMW has a manual transmission. You might also not realise I enjoy driving along winding roads, and find the sound of WOT exhaust note rather stirring. But don't let that stop you from generalising about EV drivers.

When looking at trends, generalising is key, surely?

RRs seem to have a steering problem, they always seem to be over the white lines on narrow roads. Maybe the insurers have noticed this issue?

A friend of mine is a bus driver and he says that RR’s steering mends itself quite quickly when his bus approaches 😆
Faced with that situation while in my car, I just stand my ground and slow down, stopping if necessary. I’m not smacking my nearside suspension into unseen holes and rocks just so they can blast by, unhindered.

advertisement

Back