advertisement

7 Year Old Car - Flog or Keep?

Just to finish off this tale...

The car needed new handbrake cables, they had apparently seized where they enter the body (in the middle of the car). I don't think I knackered them but I tipped them over the edge, so to speak.

Cables are dealer-only so £250 :(
So new discs and pads on the bill was not far off £800.
The mechanic told me how to get the drums off (back the adjuster right off then dislodge it and wiggle the shoes as far inboard as poss), however I don't intend to get my hands dirty on cars again!

Can't be arsed to test a newer car - all that salesman nonsense - so I'll be keeping the RAV for another year or 2.
£250 seems a lot for handbrake cables. But then again, £20-odd seems far too cheap.
I had this issue with my Subaru Forester. Many parts were "Subaru only" according to the garage, but there was a thriving market in cheap non-OE stuff. Working out which stuff was decent quality and which was total shite was made possible by membership of an owners forum. Not worth taking risks with brakes though.

IME very useful - although not necessarily essential. For my wife who is not very tall, an electrically operated tail gate was very useful as she couldn't reach the handle to close very easily

Targa had manually (forward and backward only) operated seats. I missed the precision and ease of adjustment that electrically adjustments gave me.

992 has electrically adjusted seats and they are a dream - an essential i would say for me.
My 1987 911 coupe' has mechanical levers for forward-back, and for the angle of the back rest. And (only on the driver's seat) two large buttons that electrically change the overall height of the seat, and its inclination. Hybrid!
The E39 is all mechanical, with small intervals, never felt the need for anything else.

Is it just my wishful thinking of have car prices started to soften a little? Obviously not to pre pandemic levels but I have a couple of independent dealers near me and while passing I've seen some cars priced lower than "HOW much? Are you mad?" levels .

The Toyota garage - Vantage, Leeds, has been really good. Until they (maybe) broke my parking brake.

My experience:
VW and Vauxhall dealers - very, very, very bad
Audi and BMW dealers - very bad
Ford - almost OK
Mazda and Jaguar - good
Toyota and Lexus - very good
My local Skoda dealership/garage has closed down due to retirement.
A friend, with the same model as me, recommended the local Halfords.
Excellent service and very competitive pricing.
My 9 years old Skoda has only required new front discs and pads, plus tyres of course.
I’m keeping it...

Is it just my wishful thinking of have car prices started to soften a little? Obviously not to pre pandemic levels but I have a couple of independent dealers near me and while passing I've seen some cars priced lower than "HOW much? Are you mad?" levels .
Yep. Interest rates and cost of living are taking their toll. Used hifi also declining now along with other collectibles and used discretionary purchases, no doubt. I just bought a Naim 250DR for a price that would have seen me laughed out of the room a few months ago.

BMWs are out of bounds for me. I went into a dealer many years ago to ask for a test drive in a 318i Touring. The a-hole said “we don’t do test drives, we can sell every car we can get”. My superb Lexus iS200 went back to the lease company and it was replaced by a 318i Touring. All the reviews said the BM was the better car.
I was stuck with a shite car for 3 years!
Learnt several lessons there!

Since we’re on a hifi forum… the BMW radio was remarkable for its ability to remove all semblance of a melody from all forms of music!!
To call a 318 shite, assume an E46, shows a somewhat twisted view of the car. I had a 320 and it was superb, radio was ok too.

To call a 318 shite, assume an E46, shows a somewhat twisted view of the car. I had a 320 and it was superb, radio was ok too.

I've had an late E46 318i, M54 engine, I think it was called. It had the infamous heavy oil consumption of the 'check the petrol while filling up oil' variety. Shite IS the proper name.

Had an IS200 btw. No problems what so ever. HiFi was quite decent.

I had a 525d lasted 6 months, aircom wasnt working, gearlever went electrics were useless. I think it had been underwater somewhere in its life. My car now is 12 years old and just starting to be uncomfy and not nice, in fact a bit ratty..118500 miles.

I'm very pleased with the stereo on my 1999 528. I bought it 2nd hand (5000 Euro with 80,000 Km., those were the days!). I think the original owner ordered a factory stereo upgrade, since it has an extra amplifier in the side of the boot, along with a 6-CD player, and about a dozen speakers, large and small. It sounds very, very good!

I had a 525d lasted 6 months, aircom wasnt working, gearlever went electrics were useless. I think it had been underwater somewhere in its life. My car now is 12 years old and just starting to be uncomfy and not nice, in fact a bit ratty..118500 miles.
Yes, 100-120k is when they start to become a bit ratty IME. What's interesting is that sometimes the most minor of repairs can fix the rattiness. I remember a Peugeot 406 that I was flogging up and down the country, the front ARB bushes wore out and the suspension was clattering away at a similar mileage to yours. I don't imagine that it did anything to improve the handling either. It definitely felt that the car was coming to the end of its life. I was having dark thoughts about getting rid, but eventually got round to getting it fixed. Transformation! It was fine, and did another year in my service before being stolen. Conversely there are cars that just need to die. I had an old Vectra, after 110-120 k miles it was a rat. Leaky wheels needed the tyres inflating every week, burning oil at a litre a month or so, PAS fluid leak required regular topping up and was too expensive to repair, then it handed me a clutch 300 miles from home. I should have binned it there and then and gone home on a transporter, but I needed it to get home via an important social call that weekend. Had a clutch fitted, got home, 6 months later it was leaking clutch fluid again, short MoT, so I flogged it spares or repairs. The Vectra was a POS compared to the Cav. In the 90s every taxi in Leeds was a Cav, they were indestructible and like mine they went on for ever. The Vectra was utterly crap in comparison. Less performance, worse economy, and less durable. GM cost cutting again, nobody wants their cars to last for 200k miles.
You might find that your current car is worth getting fixed if it's just minor faults making it unpleasant. I recently spent £500 on paintwork to bring mine up to snuff, it's not economically worthwhile but it transforms it from "old banger" to nice looking older car. Likewise it needs new door seals, they are noisy at speed. It's not a "necessary" repair but again it makes it a nicer place to be. Modern cars are comfortable, you aren't rattling around in some noisy, draughty Land Rover so it shouldn't feel like one. I run older cars, as you can see from my history above and the number I have killed off or at least taken up to retirement age. It's very easy to run them into the ground and only repair the things the MoT or basic servicing demands, but you then end up in a car that works but that isn't a nice place to be. If you can live with that, if the thing is a local workhorse, that's fine, but if you do 20k miles a year in the thing you want it to be a nice car to be in.

Yep E46:

- Dangerous on/off power characteristic coupled with dangerous on/off-for-ages traction control meant heartstopping moments at crossroads etc.
- Dirty cheat handling... they make the rear suspension rock hard so that the journos say they change direction quickly. Mini is the same. My old Peugeot 309 and 406 would show BMW how to make a car with real world suspension that handled properly.
- Sports seats... a park bench would have been more comfortable
Run flat tyres.

The only car that was as bad was an Audi A4 1.9 TDi that I inherited when I got a new job. Was it a diesel or was it a steam engine?

I think there's a world of difference between the 318 and the 320, though. I always liked the E46, a pretty car. Had one as a hire car for a week in Germany, a 320D Touring. Beautifully balanced. Can imagine a 318 being a bit of a comedown from an IS200, though, which is also a lovely car and that 2 litre six is another gem.

Yep E46:

- Dangerous on/off power characteristic coupled with dangerous on/off-for-ages traction control meant heartstopping moments at crossroads etc.
- Dirty cheat handling... they make the rear suspension rock hard so that the journos say they change direction quickly. Mini is the same. My old Peugeot 309 and 406 would show BMW how to make a car with real world suspension that handled properly.
- Sports seats... a park bench would have been more comfortable
Run flat tyres.

The only car that was as bad was an Audi A4 1.9 TDi that I inherited when I got a new job. Was it a diesel or was it a steam engine?
Well we will have to agree to disagree. The E46 wasn't for you. It was for me.

Well we will have to agree to disagree. The E46 wasn't for you. It was for me.
Does that mean his was still a twisted view of the car, just that you are acknowledging that it's an honest view; or are you saying his view, while different to yours, isn't a twisted one?

Good point!
Additionally, thinking back to a Top Gear article about the remnants of fluids they found in 2nd hand cars 🤮
we had a lovely vauxhall that my 8 month old had puked on the seatbelts and later a cat had got into the car and been trapped there for the weekend ... oh my goodness cats pee smell is hard to remove !!!

Yes, 100-120k is when they start to become a bit ratty IME. What's interesting is that sometimes the most minor of repairs can fix the rattiness. I remember a Peugeot 406 that I was flogging up and down the country, the front ARB bushes wore out and the suspension was clattering away at a similar mileage to yours. I don't imagine that it did anything to improve the handling either. It definitely felt that the car was coming to the end of its life. I was having dark thoughts about getting rid, but eventually got round to getting it fixed. Transformation! It was fine, and did another year in my service before being stolen. Conversely there are cars that just need to die. I had an old Vectra, after 110-120 k miles it was a rat. Leaky wheels needed the tyres inflating every week, burning oil at a litre a month or so, PAS fluid leak required regular topping up and was too expensive to repair, then it handed me a clutch 300 miles from home. I should have binned it there and then and gone home on a transporter, but I needed it to get home via an important social call that weekend. Had a clutch fitted, got home, 6 months later it was leaking clutch fluid again, short MoT, so I flogged it spares or repairs. The Vectra was a POS compared to the Cav. In the 90s every taxi in Leeds was a Cav, they were indestructible and like mine they went on for ever. The Vectra was utterly crap in comparison. Less performance, worse economy, and less durable. GM cost cutting again, nobody wants their cars to last for 200k miles.
You might find that your current car is worth getting fixed if it's just minor faults making it unpleasant. I recently spent £500 on paintwork to bring mine up to snuff, it's not economically worthwhile but it transforms it from "old banger" to nice looking older car. Likewise it needs new door seals, they are noisy at speed. It's not a "necessary" repair but again it makes it a nicer place to be. Modern cars are comfortable, you aren't rattling around in some noisy, draughty Land Rover so it shouldn't feel like one. I run older cars, as you can see from my history above and the number I have killed off or at least taken up to retirement age. It's very easy to run them into the ground and only repair the things the MoT or basic servicing demands, but you then end up in a car that works but that isn't a nice place to be. If you can live with that, if the thing is a local workhorse, that's fine, but if you do 20k miles a year in the thing you want it to be a nice car to be in.
Im doing tyres weekly

Im doing tyres weekly
Because they aren't holding air? Alloy wheels are a sod for this, it happen s when you get a bit of corrosion on the lip and the tyre won't seal. The best fix is to have the wheels refurbished, they come back like new and airtight for the next 5 years but it's £50 a wheel and the car out of action for 2-3 days. Alternatively a tyre place can remove the tyres, clean up the sealing surface, apply rim sealant and replace the tyres. Maybe £10-15 a corner, but in a year or two you'll be doing it again and your scruffy wheels will look no better. Or carry on blowing them up weekly. I don't know if a tyre sealant aerosol *might* help for a while.

advertisement

Back