advertisement

5TB external hard drive recommendations, if you'd be so kind

guey

pfm Member
Having just updated/expanded the Vortexbox server, I could do with a couple of new back up drives.
I've been using Seagate for the last few years, which have *touch wood* been fine; but am open to suggestions, preferably quite specific.
T.I.A.

4.8 stars from nearly 50,000 reviews is where I'd be looking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VS8QCXC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I have a smaller version of this - I like that it's powered via the computer - and it's been fine, completely unobtrusive and silent.
I also have mains powered Western Digital, which is also fine, make some small noises, and needs to be plugged in. Both disks have exactly the same content on them - i.e. everything, music, photos, videos and documents.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have a look at 6TB and 8TB models, they are a more popular size and deals are often available. I bought an 8TB WD, before C19 admittedly, for under £120 now £140 from Amazon.

5TB you can get the smaller portable drive, above that size you’ll need to go larger desktop size with a power supply, which may be why you chose 5TB.

WD Elements and Passport dtives are what I buy for my company.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VP5X239/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Gus

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Western Digital for me. I have WD reds in the server, and a 5TB Passport (these were going for £71 a little while back from Amazon, worth waiting for a good deal to come up if you can) for backup.
Just bought a 14TB desktop Essentials a few days ago for back up also - £180 direct from the WD store, but they've gone back up again now.
Seagate had a bad rep for a while, but I suspect they are all much of muchness really, particularly if used as a backup drive and not getting hard use.

We used to use Seagate but started to get more fails than we expected so some years ago flipped to WD (Western Digital) - have about 500 in daily rotation backing up at client sites, failures are less than Seagate just a handful a year - this is business backup use, so mostly Writes and not Reads - Have to say that don't take this as gospel, their use case is not the same as for Home/AV use.

I do use WD personally at home for my USB and also SATA NAS hard disks. SSD I prefer Samsung but do have some WD Blacks in my PC's these days.

4.8 stars from nearly 50,000 reviews is where I'd be looking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VS8QCXC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I have a smaller version of this - I like that it's powered via the computer - and it's been fine, completely unobtrusive and silent.
I also have mains powered Western Digital, which is also fine, make some small noises, and needs to be plugged in. Both disks have exactly the same content on them - i.e. everything, music, photos, videos and documents.
Me too, a 4Tb one which surprisingly works hooked up to and powered by an Aries Mini with all my music files on it.

advertisement

Back