advertisement

5.1 processor as stereo pre advice

starbuck

pfm Member
It has been over 15 years since I last had a surround system so I am quite out of the loop as far as it goes, apologies for any ignorance on display here. I have a set of 5 Spendor speakers that I am looking to wall mount in our lounge which will, along with a subwoofer (MJ Acoustics Reference 200), form the basis of a 5.1 set up. Blu ray player is a Sony BDP-S760 which has analogue 5.1 outputs as well as digital and HDMI outputs too.

The system will be for movies but I would like it to make a half decent stab at stereo music too, maybe as a 2.1 set up as the subwoofer has both high level and RCA inputs and the Spendor speakers are likely going to need some help in the lower end. I need a 5.1 processor and am unsure how an older one (Meridian 568 and Arcam AV9 are a couple of the ones I have been thinking of due to their decent stereo reputation) interacts with a more modern blu ray player and more recent types of surround sound replay (it was strictly Dolby Digital and DTS back when I last knew about such things).

Would something like the aforementioned Meridian or Arcam still suit my basic needs or are there better, more recent examples of A/V pre amps (I have powers amps going spare to use) that I should be looking at? Budget wise, I would rather keep it to the s/hand price of said Meridian/Arcam units, in case of more recent suggestions.

The answer depends (of course ;-) ) how you want to use the processor...

> If you want to decode newer formats (DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, Atmos) through the processor you need a newer model. The coax / optical in will only do ‘plain' DD/DTS.
> If you want to switch newer video formats (4K, HDR, variable frame rate, etc) through the processor you’d need a newer model.
> If you have a smart-TV and want to route the audio out through ARC/eARC you need a newer model.

An older processor would work in the following scenarios:
> You have a newer AV source (like your Sony player) with the audio output going through 5.1 /7.1 analog if you want to enjoy the newer formats, or coax / optical for plain DTS/DD. (This is how I used the same player you have with my TAG processor).
> You can route video (HDMI) from your source directly to your TV/projector, bypassing the processor.
> For streaming you have a device (Apple TV etc) with coax / optical out you can run into the processor. Or alternatively plug the streaming device in the TV and pass the audio through the optical out of the TV.
> Or you have a smart TV for streaming and route audio by (usually) optical to the processor.

As said I’d used a similar set-up for a while. In the end I felt it was all a bit of a ‘clunky’ set-up and went from the TAG processor to a more modern Marantz AV processor. I did find the Marantz a significant step back in stereo quality.

A solution I’d maybe propose in your situation is find a decent 2-3 year old AV receiver / processor. That should have most of the modern A/V features you would want and available for decent budget. Use the front L/R pre-out and route that to a nice pre-amp that has a fixed gain ‘HT’ input. In stereo you’d use the pre-amp, for surround all will be controlled by the A/V receiver / processor.
Adding the sub in that scenario will be more complicated, you’d need to find either a stereo pre-amp with a sub pass-through, or an older A/V processor with 5.1 analog in and volume control bypass available on that input.

For me, combining the facts that developments in surround are going quickly, me being less critical of sound quality in surround, watching less movies, and living in an city center apartment (can only play at reasonable levels) I’m going a different route. I’m separating the two, albeit in the same living room. I’m downsizing my surround to a relative simple AV receiver with the newest features, and relative budget onwall speakers. Fits the purpose,and is easy and relatively cheap to upgrade for any new audio / video formats. For stereo I’m contemplating a new 2-channel active/DSP set-up, such as the Buchardt A500.

Last edited:
Some good advice there. I'd just add, some processors also have a direct or similar output for stereo use, bypassing lots of internal gubbins and dimming the display etc., and have pre-outs. My Marantz does. I knocked up a cable to hook mine to a NAP250.2 whcih takes care of front L/R for movie duty. For the occasional streaming music use that room, the Marantz is in direct mode as a pre-amp.

It’s really easy to fall down the rabbit hole chasing all the new bells and whistles, despite spending a large amount of money updating/upgrading I’m not sure I’ve ever really bettered the Meridian 568.2MM as an all rounder, for surround it was ace and it’s Trifield music mode was brilliant. The other Pre/Proc I’d look for is the last version of the Tag. I’ve ended up splitting things back out and running 2 separate systems.

I too ended up seperating the two systems. Using a kramer input selector between the pre amp and processor before the power amp.

Having said that classe and preceed processors were better than my lex on stereo but not surround. Then again my graaf pre is a big step up for stereo.

Never got on with meridian av, but love my 100 series second system.

I use my system for both I have a Marantz AV amp for the 5.1 but I use the front channel pre-outs of it to my Musical Fidelity MS6si
So that amp powers my ATCs and the Marantz just powers my centre and rears
I have a sub but I use a switch box so I can have it as part of my 5.1 or when listening to just 2 channel have it helping out the fronts

Thank you all for the responses.

An older processor would work in the following scenarios:
> You have a newer AV source (like your Sony player) with the audio output going through 5.1 /7.1 analog if you want to enjoy the newer formats, or coax / optical for plain DTS/DD. (This is how I used the same player you have with my TAG processor).
> You can route video (HDMI) from your source directly to your TV/projector, bypassing the processor.
> For streaming you have a device (Apple TV etc) with coax / optical out you can run into the processor. Or alternatively plug the streaming device in the TV and pass the audio through the optical out of the TV.
> Or you have a smart TV for streaming and route audio by (usually) optical to the processor.

Thankyou for your really comprehensive reply, it has enabled me to get my head around things a bit more. We have quite a simple TV set up with just the Blu Ray player connected via HDMI to the TV (an older Pioneer plasma at present), no TV streaming of any sort and no aerial connection to the screen either. Audio is currently done via phono RCA out to the amp for sound via our stereo speakers.

A solution I’d maybe propose in your situation is find a decent 2-3 year old AV receiver / processor. That should have most of the modern A/V features you would want and available for decent budget. Use the front L/R pre-out and route that to a nice pre-amp that has a fixed gain ‘HT’ input. In stereo you’d use the pre-amp, for surround all will be controlled by the A/V receiver / processor.
Adding the sub in that scenario will be more complicated, you’d need to find either a stereo pre-amp with a sub pass-through, or an older A/V processor with 5.1 analog in and volume control bypass available on that input.

That's a great alternative suggestion to my idea of one pre/processor in the system. At the moment I am currently using an Arcam A32 for both music and movies but also have a Meridian 502/557 pre/power which could be brought into use again in a surround system. In my head I had earmarked the 557 for front L/R duties in whatever I use for 5.1, it may be that the 502 has a fixed gain input as it is quite flexible but I will need to research that to see. I know input levels on it are adjustable for sensitivity though not sure if they can be fixed but it gives me something to think about and at least rule out if it can't be used. I have just done a quick internet search and it looks like the Arcam A32 has a processor mode which enables it to be used in conjunction with an A/V receiver where the A32 would be powering front L/R in the 5.1 set up, I think via the Tape Inputs, so that's something else to look at.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Thanks again for all the replies.

edited to add (sorry for additional rambling):

Regarding the integration of the subwoofer, the MJ Acoustics Ref. 200 has both high level inputs and RCA inputs, and if my understanding of it is correct then both inputs can be utilised, are switchable and have independently adjustable crossovers. The Arcam A32 has two sets of speaker outputs which can be turned on and off via switches on the front of the amp. Assuming I purchased an A/V receiver and used that for centre and rear duties, and also for movie subwoofer duties via RCA subwoofer output, would it be possible to use the Arcam's second set of speaker outputs to connect to the sub via high level input for music (front L/R would be connected to the Arcam's first set of speaker outputs), turning the second set of speaker outputs off when watching a movie (and therefore using the A/V receiver's sub output)?

Apologies for the convoluted question, I hope I made it so it is understandable.

advertisement

Back