advertisement

40 years young, Power Corruption and Lies

You've caught me at a bad time...

It's a great album, but it was the next album that they reached their peak IMHO.

Over the years I have bought the original LP, linen boxed cassette, CD with Car Carry Case and just this year bought the Definitive Box.

I love this period and the associated singles.

The second Peel session is transcendent IMHO. The session beautifully captures the late night vibe of listening to John Peel.

The Peel version of "We All Stand" bests the album version:-

...on top of this you get an otherwise unreleased track "Too Late", a brilliant Keith Hudson cover and a cracking 5-8-6.

Also if you haven't heard it - buy the Section 25 album "From The Hip". Produced by Barney and Donald Johnson - it has a strong PCL vibe:-

Just dug my copy out for a spin. Must be 20 years since I last played it (I tend to go for the 12” singles with New Order). Still sounds good!

PS I’ve also got the Manchester Art Gallery limited issue (Discogs) from a few years back (plus Closer and the exhibition book), but I’m keeping these sealed as an investment. I can’t imagine it would sound better than the original which I’ve had from time of release.

Over the years I have bought the original LP, linen boxed cassette, CD with Car Carry Case and just this year bought the Definitive Box.

I love this period and the associated singles.

The second Peel session is transcendent IMHO. The session beautifully captures the late night vibe of listening to John Peel.

The Peel version of "We All Stand" bests the album version:-

...on top of this you get an otherwise unreleased track "Too Late", a brilliant Keith Hudson cover and a cracking 5-8-6.

Also if you haven't heard it - buy the Section 25 album "From The Hip". Produced by Barney and Donald Johnson - it has a strong PCL vibe:-

Yes, finally someone who loves the 2nd Peel session as much as I do! Turn the Heater On is just amazing, and agreed We All Stand beats the album version even.

Just dug my copy out for a spin. Must be 20 years since I last played it (I tend to go for the 12” singles with New Order). Still sounds good!

PS I’ve also got the Manchester Art Gallery limited issue (Discogs) from a few years back (plus Closer and the exhibition book), but I’m keeping these sealed as an investment. I can’t imagine it would sound better than the original which I’ve had from time of release.
Yeah I have that limited issue and did open it and was disappointed that the artwork wasn’t recreated accurately at all. Can’t recall the details. I should probably sell it! (Closer, however, was immaculate).

I've got a Factory A1/B1 ("Where's Murder?") pressing with obligatory damage to the cut out on the back. It was always a HiFi demo album for me.

Just dug my copy out for a spin. Must be 20 minutes since I last played it ... ;)

I've got a Factory A1/B1 ("Where's Murder?") pressing with obligatory damage to the cut out on the back. It was always a HiFi demo album for me.

Mine has puzzled me as it is an A2/B2, which Discogs has as a reissue, but I bought it new at time of release! I was a total New Order fanboy at the time. I’m sure I’ve not swapped it out over the years. It’s in great shape aside from a crease to the inner that I think was there from new

Mine has puzzled me as it is an A2/B2, which Discogs has as a reissue, but I bought it new at time of release! I was a total New Order fanboy at the time. I’m sure I’ve not swapped it out over the years. It’s in great shape aside from a crease to the inner that I think was there from new

And by the same token, I bought mine five or six years after release.

Weird, mine says A1 and B2. The B2 side has 'The Robot' and 'Where's Murder'. Both sides say STRAWBERRY. In fact (no pun intended), of the 145 versions listed on Discogs, mine seems to match exactly none of them.

I’m going to reel out my “PC&L” anecdote out one more time in celebration.

Got a copy on vinyl shortly after release. No obvious indication on the label as to which side is which, no helpful track list on the sleeve. (I was eight years old, what do I know about reading the deadwax?) So, I play it beginning with “Your Silent Face” and ending in “586”.

It was many years before I realised my mistake. Even now I think “Age Of Consent” to “Leave Me Alone” is the “wrong” way to play the album.

There are many albums I just read the matrix number in the run-off and look for an A or a B. Seems increasingly the case, so many modern records have very little actual info on the label.

advertisement

Back