advertisement

40 years later can we finally say who is best: Stones or Beatles?

Who gets the most play time on your turntable?

• Beatles

Votes: 49 70.0%
  • Stones

Votes: 21 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh no! I've reached the 'all tv appears the same to ageing retired tv worker'! :-D

Looks like the "fab four" are pulling away now, nowt wrong with the Stones but The Beatles set the standards.

The problem is that this is only an accurate description of a tiny fraction of Beatles music. Once you recognise that, any apparent contradiction disappears.

OK, so what are a few songs that i would know which don't fall into that "tiny fraction".

i could list about 40 off the top of my head that have that "barbershop quartet" feeling about them.

vuk.

Once they became big The Beatles were until the end of 1966 on a permanent world tour, contracted to star in a movie and also to release two albums a year no wonder there were a few album fillers.

No modern day band has ever been flogged so hard yet they still produced loads of high quality music.

I will never forgive the Beatles for the song Yellow Submarine.

Also, Paul McCartney is a bit of a c**t, isn't he?

I'm sure McCartney has forgiven all of us for never having written a memorable song, ever.

The Stones are a pretty forgettable blues tribute act, I've never seen any reason to listen to them at all.

There's a nice Sonny Rollins solo on "Waiting on a Friend".

I'm sure McCartney has forgiven all of us for never having written a memorable song, ever.

I'll have you know I wrote a number of memorable songs on the bus to and from school.

Memorable due to swearyness and the resulting trips to the headmaster's office, but memorable none the less.
A popular one was 'Old men on the bog' set to the tune of 'New kids on the block'. Rocked the house every time.

i could list about 40 off the top of my head that have that "barbershop quartet" feeling about them.

OK, do that first, list the 40, and then we can have a discussion about which ones you are wrong about.

The Stones wrote some of the most memorable songs in pop - loads of them. You can't have a proper party without Lets Spend the Night Together or Brown Sugar. They also made some brilliant albums Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed et al. They have lasted 50 years and are still one of the world's great pop attractions.

But the Beatles were more creative. Rather than just look at the songs they made, look at how they progressed in 6 years from The Beatles to Abbey Road and some of the influences they took on board in that time. It is still truly astonishing what they achieved in their time. And they are still reviled and praised by nearly everyone who is interested in music 40+ years later.

The real point is we will never see anything as influential and totally magnificent as these two bands ever again.

Whilst Ian is clearly wrong about the great T. Rex vs. Slade question and is more than a little unkind to Mr Bowie and Mr Eno, he does have this argument covered IMO. I have nothing further to add.

PS Vuk, do you see everything with close harmony singing to be "barber shop", e.g. would you describe Pet Sounds that way?

Vuk,

This is barbershop.

This isn't.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I will never forgive the Beatles for the song Yellow Submarine.

Also, Paul McCartney is a bit of a c**t, isn't he?

Changed my mind about Sir Macca recently as he has done some good fun concerts with generous time on stage.

Changed my mind about Sir Macca recently as he has done some good fun concerts with generous time on stage.

Did you see the Olympic opening ceremony? Too damn generous with his time on stage...

Stones for me now; in '72 I was 7, and the songs I remember from that time were all T-Rex for some reason (Ride a White Swan, Jeepster etc.).

-- Tim

Did you see the Olympic opening ceremony? Too damn generous with his time on stage...

Stones for me now; in '72 I was 7, and the songs I remember from that time were all T-Rex for some reason (Ride a White Swan, Jeepster etc.).

-- Tim

Even the French have managed to give him some respect in his old age.

advertisement

Back