advertisement

4-day weeks

Hoopsontoast

pfm Member
Interesting article on BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57724779

At our company, for any staff who were in full time during the pandemic (those who could not work from home) have been offered a compressed week / 4-day week, so still doing 35-hours/week. This is an Engineering/Aerospace firm, and majority of those staff not just basic office based.

I love it, having a 3-day weekend really offsets the extra hour or two every day in the office and already seeing a reduced commuting cost.

saw this article yesterday and something along those lines would suit me fine
I worked full time during the pandemic, not office based and also in aerospace

Unfortunately our ‘customer’ likes to fly the chollywopters Monday to Friday and at times we are already maxed out with work on them.
A shortage of suitably skilled people in the area makes a four day week extremely unlikely.

It would suit me fine. Currently on a regular 40 hr week and struggling to find full motivation at times, I think moving to slightly reduced hours over 4 days would really help me. However I can't see it being offered, the company culture is for staff to willingly do extra hours (for nowt predictably), not fewer.

Doing between 50-60 hours per week; just about tolerable given it's all at home, with some 15 hours clawed back from commuting.

Could never understand why, whoever invented "weeks", didn't just go with 4 weekdays and 3 weekend days.

Our firm (big American engineering consultancy) is very flexible regarding this. Plenty working 3/4 day weeks, with an option to work annualised hours. Obviously it needs to work around project commitments. In my experience it works well, great work / life balance, and productivity is probably greater over a shorter week.

Fantasy, I have been WFH most of this year and nobody has taken any leave as there we cannot go anywhere.
Naturally management is planning intense activity on site at the end of the year.
In 42 years working, management NEVER plan staff to take their leave and dream of 7 day weeks

advertisement

Back