advertisement

3D printer

Fox

The sound of one hoof clopping
One of the possibilities of learning a software package like SolidWorks 3D is I can routinely draw up and cut new control surfaces for digital instruments out of solid bits of metal, it's pretty standard engineering compared to 3D printing though... we have a few 3D printers but they are very low resolution compared to this:

If you want to make a prototype instrument, one you can physically blow down and play, now the guys at MIT shown you can just print the sucker - providing the printer is up to snuff.

This is a flute, but the end of this video hints at possible new instruments that cannot be made conventionally.

Now is absolutely a great time to be an engineering musician, have an imagination and be able to realise your ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extraordinary. Amazing that they can print those hinged keys in one go, without requiring asssembly afterwards.

@Jiiim: yes those are the low resolution ones i mentioned*. But these things can only get better as the high end trickles down, until then I'd rather draw up in 3d then use a service with a better printer.

*with the reprap one of the great things is the parts that wear out you can simply print off again, self maintained replication of a 3d printer is the ultimate goal.

If I recall correctly, there are companies that offer to print your files in 3d and send it to you.
And there's a project somewhere of selfreplicating printers. As one would expect you can print the printer parts but still need to buy some expensive components.

I meant to put this in the DIY section ages ago. There is one in Manchester, funded by the 'Northern Development Council' (or something like that), one of those bodies that is getting scrappped.

I think anyone can apply to use it, you have to design the items yourself but the staff will help out. My uneducated thoughts are that you could possibly make tonearms, headshells, footers, risers, hell maybe whole speakers or turntable bodies may all be possible:

http://www.fablabmanchester.org

Give them a call if curious

right now, but trickle down of technology means inevitably hundreds then who knows?

i routinely build controllers and hack out the cases from single bilets of aluminium using monocoque designs on a 3 axis cc miller (unibody is the buzzword most people know). That would have costs tens of thousands two decades ago.

I was reading a research piece at the weekend predicting 3d printing will have a bigger impact than the internet.

It's been suggested that very large scale printers that print concrete would really speed up construction of houses. Just roll a big frame over where you want a house, hit print and a head will lay down the foundation and walls.

..Probably very bad news for pollution!

article-2187623-14870F6A000005DC-257_634x475.jpg

Piece I read suggested something similar. An interesting aside was a discussion on the risk of the 'right to bear arms' folk and/or your common or garden terrorist organisation using the process for easy production and distribution of high tech plastic firearms and other weaponry in years to come.

I love the idea of it, and we use it a work to develop prototype parts, but I can't honestly see it becoming technology that everyone has at home.

Even if it made financial sense, you would still need fairly good 3D modelling skills to produce the datafile that the machine prints from.

I don't honestly see the point outside of high-end, high value applications.

Average Joe would download models of what they want to print. Only few people would draw their own. The problem I think for doing it at home in years to come is having multi-materials. Will we have a standard set of cartridges with say aluminium, hard plastic and soft plastic? Those would be big ink cartridges if you want to make anything much!

I don't honestly see the point outside of high-end, high value applications.

Here's a high value application: saving a human life either from war, accident or a rotting bone disease.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/article...ted-polymer-skull-implant-first-operation.htm

I find this to be one of those things that I marvel at us as a species. I know its hip to be down on homo sapiens, but really this is incredible fusion of science, medicine and materials technology. Even if our developments are glacially slow, I still feel positive about humans -- if we can just stop being so selfish and inward and unfair towards each other. Someone at some point thought "hey I wonder if we can print bone" and here we are.

Here's a high value application: saving a human life either from war, accident or a rotting bone disease.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/article...ted-polymer-skull-implant-first-operation.htm

I find this to be one of those things that I marvel at us as a species. I know its hip to be down on homo sapiens, but really this is incredible fusion of science, medicine and materials technology. Even if our developments are glacially slow, I still feel positive about humans -- if we can just stop being so selfish and inward and unfair towards each other. Someone at some point thought "hey I wonder if we can print bone" and here we are.

Saw that at the weekend, and had one of those 'oh wow' moments. Seriously fantastic use of technology.

And totally agree, there is hope for us yet.

I've seen the 3D titanium plates before, but not the polymer. We have also produced 3D casts for hip joints etc for our local hospitals, but while that's a great use of the technology, it doesn't make a case for domestic use of printers.

I've seen the models that Tenyson mentioned, but IIRC, they were toys rather than anything with a useful purpose. I wouldn't mind trying to produce some 3D data myself, but it seems like it would simply be something you do for fun.

I've seen the 3D titanium plates before, but not the polymer. We have also produced 3D casts for hip joints etc for our local hospitals, but while that's a great use of the technology, it doesn't make a case for domestic use of printers.

I've seen the models that Tenyson mentioned, but IIRC, they were toys rather than anything with a useful purpose. I wouldn't mind trying to produce some 3D data myself, but it seems like it would simply be something you do for fun.

Which is more or less what people said about home PCs in the early 80s...

advertisement

Back