advertisement

282 to Grad 1 or?

keith1962

pfm Member
I have 282 with DualTC into an Avondale S100 into Kudos C20s. Had Hicap2 and Nap200 and much prefer the DTC and the S100 (tried a Nap 250.2 a number of times and the 200 was better in the areas that mattered to me).
In light of this trend for a change in preferences, and having heard Les's 821 pre at his place recently when picking up my S100 I am considering selling the 282 and buying a Grad 1, or, selling the 282 and buying a 72/32.5 and having Les (or someone else!?) do a full re-work.
As it is difficult to hear any of these options in comparison to my 282 I wondered if anyone had been able to do this comparison and what their opinions were?

Have posted this here as well as DIY as relevant to both but mods please feel free to limit to one or other.

Keith.

NAIM and Avondale sound so different you need to hear them.

Grad1 and 282 are at the top of the tree, forum comments are void, listen!

It appears that the OP has heard the Avondale "sound" and it seems to represent no great problems to him. So I imagine the best course of action is to hear the Preamp in his own system and see if it works for him.

Haven't heard the 282, but have a modified NAC 72/TPX-2 running Les' 821A boards (well worth the extra) into an S100. Sounds gorgeous. Awaiting an 821 which I'm hoping will be the icing on the cake! In my experience Avondale sound is absolutely top notch, so if you can run to the Grad-1 I'm sure it's sublime. Can you get a home dem? Best way to decide, but IMO the Grad will probably be staying once you have it ;)

If you can live with no remote control & the limited functions, a Grad1 is a superb preamp. I used to have a 282 with TPX1, which I was extremely happy with, but I think from a sound (& especially a sound-per-£) angle, the Grad1 is even better.
But yes, they are different enough to each other that some may say "different, rather than better" so a home dem is needed. Do Avondale still do some form of money back offer, I wonder?
It may be worth PM'ing Zener here for more info.
Matt.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes I liked very much what the S100 did and heard it with an 821A with tpx2 into some of Les's prototype speakers. Obviously that was in the context of Les's system and room so I need to hear what happens if I replace the 282 with one of the options I mention in my room and system.
I do prefer the separation, detail and clarity to the sound and that is why I preferred the 200 to 250.2. The S100 is, in certain respects, like a 200 but with more control, clarity, separation, detail and much less harshness and with deep, non-booming bass.
Hope to have a Grad 1 or 821A sorted for home dem soon.

Hello Keith
I have an avondaled 72, with the 821a boards powered by tpx2
playing into a avondale power amp .
extremely satisfied with the music ,next upgrade when funds allow, grad 1

It appears that the OP has heard the Avondale "sound" and it seems to represent no great problems to him. So I imagine the best course of action is to hear the Preamp in his own system and see if it works for him.

Is that not what I suggested?

If you're interested, my modded 72 will be up for sale soon- I wired Kimber PBJ and female Ultraplate RCAs into one input and output, removed the balance pot and the 'time alignment boards. The difference with the 821As is huge! I have a stepped attenuators ready to fit but won't bother as I'm going down the 821 pre route...

One important question - what is your front end?

I went from an 82/Supercap to a Grad1/TPX1 for a big improvement.

However I no longer use any preamp for an even bigger improvement. Hence the Q about your front end as money may be better spent going in a different direction.

Compared to the Naim the Grad1 at first appears laid back. Then you realise that the in-yer-face aggression has gone and fine details come through what seems like an inky black background.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks again for the comments and views guys. Front end is LP12 with Keel/Radical/Urika/Ekos2 with an Akurate DS/1 for streaming and internet radio (gotta love Radio Paradise!!). So pretty much happy and sorted with front end.
Will def be doing home dem with 821 pre and/or Grad 1 and if my reaction to the S100 is anything to go by I think I should like it.
Is the tpx1 or 2 an improvement on the DTC3 or?
Best regards,
Keith.

At that sort of money for proper highend performance I would recommend a Tron seven with internal phono, a conrad johnson CT5 or perhaps the Shindo Aurieges. Dynavector L300 could also be a possibility if you can find one used.

Thanks again for the comments and views guys. Front end is LP12 with Keel/Radical/Urika/Ekos2 with an Akurate DS/1 for streaming and internet radio (gotta love Radio Paradise!!). So pretty much happy and sorted with front end.
Will def be doing home dem with 821 pre and/or Grad 1 and if my reaction to the S100 is anything to go by I think I should like it.
Is the tpx1 or 2 an improvement on the DTC3 or?
Best regards,
Keith.

Be wary of losing the preamp stage, I tried it briefly and music lost all 'drive' and 'life' although it would depend on how you did it, I guess...

I haven't head the Teddy PSU, but te TPX-2 was a worthwhile upgrade on the TPX-1. Although I should say the huge improvement was the TPX-1, with the 2 being the icing on the cake. Given the quality of your front end, I'd say it would be worthwhile indeed ;)

How's the treble strength with the Kudos speakers? They do seem to be set a little too "hot" for "maximum detail" for me and this will have an effect on changes up-stream..

Keith.

NAIM and Avondale sound so different you need to hear them.

Grad1 and 282 are at the top of the tree, forum comments are void, listen!

Bang on the money there.

I think DV uses a switch between phono stage (with vol. control) and a Weiss Dac which also has a vol. control.

Cheers Si

advertisement

Back