advertisement

21st Century LS3/5A

Like 'The official camera of the 20xx olympic games', then. But that probably doesn't cost Canon a mere £2K.

Just now listening through my 1978 Chartwells. Who could imagine then that a discussion like this would come up 42 years later!

Perhaps we should start a club specifically for Chartwell LS3/5a owners! Mine may be a year or so older than yours, think in in the 500 serial number range.

Like 'The official camera of the 20xx olympic games', then. But that probably doesn't cost Canon a mere £2K.

Just now listening through my 1978 Chartwells. Who could imagine then that a discussion like this would come up 42 years later!

My friend was, and I guess still is a camera engineer working for Canon. Lucky guy got to go as support engineer at the Olympics and Winter Olympics.

Over 950 DSLR bodies and 1500 lenses at Rio for him to play with
1I1A0697.jpg

The story I heard about the 11 ohm surrounds (from an employee of one of the original manufacturers) is that formed PVC tries to "flatten out" to its original preformed shape (flat). I don't know the extent of this (significant or insignificant) and have never heard of any consequence.

It appears that some owners of old LS3/5as love that 1.2Khz ‘wrinkle’ then...

It's probably the least problem with them. Compared to very high distorsion at low frequencies, the idiotic 125 Hz hump, the draught around 300 Hz etc. etc. it's nothing. still, they sound much better than they measure.

Talking of a 21st Century LS3/5a, I see Icon Audio has an LS3/5a Replica for sale.
They don't make any big claims, and told me it has drive units assembled by them. Looks like the crossovers are as well.
It has an MDF cabinet.
As Icon have an excellent reputation, it may well sound good.

advertisement

Back