advertisement

2024 local elections

No, I'm not exactly looking forward to Starmer Labour have zero opposition either.

Problem is there isn't really any opposition now. Just two centre-right parties trading insults at the dispatch box.

I'd be surprised if many thought today's Tories were centre-right.

A decent set of election results for Labour; maybe even good in some cases. Starmer is turning his Party inside out - instead of facing the comrades, he is facing the country. More mayors onside which might be a big plus should Starmer win. And a great result for 3rd-term Khan. The Greens didn't win Bristol which was a surprise (nor any other councils for that matter). They did get a few more seats but you can't help but think they need to up their game. Didn't see them on TV either despite outperforming Reform. Lib Dems move into second spot but they always tend to do well locally. Labour on course to win the GE. Things to keep an eye out for - voter turnout, Scotland, and the morass of independents.

The Greens came within 70 votes of the LDs in London - battle for third place could become the main point of interest.

Laura was deliriously happy - probably affected her journalist integrity. I thought the pictures told the story - the very definition of cringe. Mainstream journos can't go too far. If they do, they won't get access. PFM is far better at 'swording' than the MSM. Street is also off - a man who supported Liz Truss.
Taking of decent journos, challenge the interviewee and this happens.

So we have a new London Mayor, elected with less than 18% of London's population voting for them. The London Mayoral election system is broken, no Mayor ever has a mandate from the people to run our city, yet they have the power to totally destroy it's transport system at the very least. It needs to be reformed: Mandatory voting and winner must achieve more than 50% of the vote. If it can work for Countries it can work for cities.

If Muslims are appalled by Labour and Gaza, why do many Christians not seem to bother about that massacre of other chistians in the same way? Is it because Palestinians are black first and christian second?

So we have a new London Mayor, elected with less than 18% of London's population voting for them. The London Mayoral election system is broken, no Mayor ever has a mandate from the people to run our city, yet they have the power to totally destroy it's transport system at the very least. It needs to be reformed: Mandatory voting and winner must achieve more than 50% of the vote. If it can work for Countries it can work for cities.

I don’t believe in mandatory voting, but removing the Tories voter ID gerrymandering scam would be a big help. I’d be very interested to see just how many that deterred from voting. I’m betting a lot. Having to obtain a formal form of ID one doesn’t have is a massive hassle and inconvenience for something one may not care about that much. This is obviously the whole point. It was a blatant attempt to shift turnout towards the wealthier and more elderly section of society the Tories view as their base. That said even with this blatant gerrymandering the Tories still couldn’t get their truly vile racist conspiracy theorist candidate into contention.

I don’t believe in mandatory voting, but removing the Tories voter ID gerrymandering scam would be a big help. I’d be very interested to see just how many that deterred from voting. I’m betting a lot. Having to obtain a formal form of ID one doesn’t have is a massive hassle and inconvenience for something one may not care about that much. This is obviously the whole point. It was a blatant attempt to shift turnout towards the wealthier and more elderly section of society the Tories view as their base. That said even with this blatant gerrymandering the Tories still couldn’t get their truly vile racist conspiracy theorist candidate into contention.
Can't talk about the rest of the country but with a turn out of barely more than 40% in London, down by just 1.5% from the last election, I think there's no evidence that introducing proof of ID to vote had any effect. Not in London at least.

I had no idea that the ID thing was a result of the Tory's. Irrespective, I have no issue with having to prove you have the right to vote when doing so. In fact I'd go as far as saying you should need to do so, otherwise how do you avoid voter corruption? Again, it's something other countries do for their general elections, so I see no issue with it in principle. Of course it is clearly a change that needs to be properly thought out, and given that we don't have compulsory ID in this country (as they do in other countries where it's used when voting), we'd need to implement some form of "election ID" system as an alternative.

In fact I'd go as far as saying you should need to do so, otherwise how do you avoid voter corruption?

It is a non-issue. IIRC more Tory MPs in this parliament have been charged with sex offences than there was voter fraud in the last election in the whole UK. It is gerrymandering of exactly the same design the Republican Party use to disenfranchise black and poor inner city voters in the USA.

Yes my question is about why it isn't politicised in the same way. Why are they not demanding an end to the slaughter or to the sale of arms? Why is it not feeding into the elections in the same way?

By the way, I think you're incorrect when it comes to the relationship between wealth and voting Conservative in the UK, at least if this 2017 YouGov chart is true. The days of when the working class predominantly voted Labour are well and truly gone:

Class20v2-01_0pftZJF.format-webp.webp

Though they seem to agree that age is a predictor of voting choice:

Age20predictor-01_obRPz8l.format-webp.webp

What do you have against it? Just curious.

Authoritarianism. It is only one step removed from Mugabe, Putin or whatever stooges standing outside polling stations with baseball bats. Any true democracy includes the right to stay away should one wish. This is especially true under FPTP systems such as ours. I fully understand my vote is a waste of my time as it will never count towards representation. This is true for anyone who doesn’t live in a marginal seat where a party or candidate they want is actually in contention. In my entire voting life I have only been represented in the EU elections.

I do still vote despite this, but only as a protest to provide further statistical data for the campaign for PR. If I had to get photos done for what I fully understand is a waste of my time I’d likely stay home. As it happens I still have a couple of years on my passport and, so I’ll keep having my vote counted for PR-supporting minority parties national total.

By the way, I think you're incorrect when it comes to the relationship between wealth and voting Conservative in the UK, at least if this 2017 YouGov chart is true. The days of when the working class predominantly voted Labour are well and truly gone:

Class20v2-01_0pftZJF.format-webp.webp

Though they seem to agree that age is a predictor of voting choice:

Age20predictor-01_obRPz8l.format-webp.webp

And education.

Reactions: gez

advertisement

Back