advertisement

2023 MF A1 Question

Shane2468

pfm Member
Asking on behalf of my Dad.

Dad is currently using the new A1. He purchased it 4 months ago. This is an interesting, but yet odd little amp.

The speakers being used at the moment, are the Mark Audio Sota Cesti MB.

Perhaps at some point later in the Spring Dad might fancy trying a different speaker. Obviously something not hard to drive/control etc.

What speakers are known to work well with the A1 family?

Thanks.

S.

MF LS3/5a

blob

In the context of LS3/5a style monitors, the Musical Fidelity LS3/5a aren't pricey. Is there a budget you're trying to adhere to? I use an A1 in my wine shop with Audio Note AX one mk ii monitors--fantastic combination. The A1 works well with many of the BBC style speakers, from the LS3/5a to the LS5/8, DeVore Orangutans, any Audio Note speaker. I'm sure many others. Considering the wattage, the A1 can drive a variety of loads well.

In the context of LS3/5a style monitors, the Musical Fidelity LS3/5a aren't pricey. Is there a budget you're trying to adhere to? I use an A1 in my wine shop with Audio Note AX one mk ii monitors--fantastic combination. The A1 works well with many of the BBC style speakers, from the LS3/5a to the LS5/8, DeVore Orangutans, any Audio Note speaker. I'm sure many others. Considering the wattage, the A1 can drive a variety of loads well.

Well, you must be relatively well off to say they aren't pricey!

But anyway, thanks for responding to the thread.

S.

Like I said, in the context of the specific model type (LS3/5a), they're not pricey--they're one of the most affordable options. I did ask what your the budget is...that would help us know if a particular speaker is out of the price range. The A1 is about $1800 itself and is a lovely amp...it does deserve some great sounding speakers! What's the budget?

I'm using Denton 80ths with my A1.

The sound is rich, lush and organic, albeit with rolled-off top end.

Probably the best sound I've had in the past 30 years.

Check out Q Acoustic speakers at Richer Sounds. They are great sounding speakers, well built and very reasonably priced in a variety of finishes.

i am currently using an old pair with a 9.5W 300B amp in a second system, they are just silly good, makes me smile every time I use them.

I would think they would be an excellent match with the MF A1

Check out Q Acoustic speakers at Richer Sounds. They are great sounding speakers, well built and very reasonably priced in a variety of finishes.

i am currently using an old pair with a 9.5W 300B amp in a second system, they are just silly good, makes me smile every time I use them.

I would think they would be an excellent match with the MF A1

May I ask. Which Q speaker are you using?

S.

I use a sugden a21se so the specs arent a million miles away from the A1. I use proac speakers with my amp so could look at 2nd hand pair of studio 100's. If he can strecth his budget a bit and accomodate floorstanders, d18's would probably work too.

MF wants to sell you an amp and speakers but the LS3/5a's are not a good match for the A1. Too inefficient.
Not true - I have heard the combo in a mid-sized room and it sounded excellent. No shortage of power and oomph - although if you live in a barn it may be a problem, but then you probably wouldn't have ls3/5as anyway

I can't say I know the new MF A1 but I gather it's quite a low output class A amp. I did own a Sugden A21a, similar I guess in that it's a rather low output class A amp.
I used a fair few speakers with it and a good combination at moderate listening levels was the Totem Arros or Mites, I also used an old pair of Mission 780se, a pair of PMC standmounts and a pair of Diapason Adamantees.
In a small room at moderate to quite loud all of these speakers performed well, I wouldn't put too much faith in quoted sensitivity and let the ears and wallet decide.

I can't say I know the new MF A1 but I gather it's quite a low output class A amp. I did own a Sugden A21a, similar I guess in that it's a rather low output class A amp.
I used a fair few speakers with it and a good combination at moderate listening levels was the Totem Arros or Mites, I also used an old pair of Mission 780se, a pair of PMC standmounts and a pair of Diapason Adamantees.
In a small room at moderate to quite loud all of these speakers performed well, I wouldn't put too much faith in quoted sensitivity and let the ears and wallet decide.

Yes I have read many good reports about the Arro/Sugden combo.

S.

advertisement

Back