advertisement

2 years of lingering plantar fasciitis - any advice?

Daughter is a dancer, with remarkable feet, crazy flexible and range of motion. She got PF from wearing point shoes.

Compression tape and Hot and ice water plunging plus massage cleared it in about a month. Never came back so likely growing pain related as well.

I had it after I started walking again after breaking both my heels and being off my feet for ten weeks. Hot and ice water plunging plus one of those spiky balls sorted it for me too.

I had it for almost two years and eventually got a quick cure using a roller, something a bit thinner than a rolling pin

I had PF for years. Changing my running, basketball, and everyday shoes to ones with a lot of heel cushioning got rid of the PF pain. From time to time, I'm forced to try new shoes (the old model discontinued). If the new shoes don't have enough heel padding, the pain returns quickly. It also goes away quickly once I get the right shoes. A bit of trial and error.

Analyze what you do with your feet, when you’re sitting down do you leave your foot flat on the ground? I had a habit of having my calves in constant tension when sitting. Not had any Achilles issues since sorting this behaviour

I'm knocking on for about 18 months of tennis elbow (I think) which is a similar neverending issue. Ibuprofen helps but my job and most of my hobbies aggravate it so it's never going to get full rest, ironically just when you think it should get some rest whilst sleeping is actually the most painful time, I can wake up in the middle of the night in agony.

Similarly I think it's a case of time and hoping it clears up.

Wear thick soled slippers/trainers indoors. These thin soled moccasins are no good for sore feet. I put some arch supports in slip on trainers to use indoors and they've really helped.

I'm knocking on for about 18 months of tennis elbow (I think) which is a similar neverending issue

I had a steroid injection eventually when I had tennis elbow a few years ago. I had the pain for a couple of months before I went for a physio referral. The injection worked.

I have also had a steroid injection for a frozen shoulder (skateboarding injury)

I had/have a foot problem, slightly misplaced toe joint, and was in nearly constant pain when I walked.
In my particular case weekly massage from a good physiotherapist helped as I was walking "incorrectly" to reduce the pain and all my foot muscles had "hardened" up. Once the muscles had been loosened and with a few simple daily exercises the problems has been nearly resolved.

One of the biggest helps was thai foot massage earlier this year (on holiday in Thailand for 5 weeks). I explained my foot problem to the massure and expected them to just massage the front of the foot. However weekly massage sessions, 1 hour every time, involved loosening all muscles from the foot to the knee.

I was surprised how many muscles I had been misusing to avoid pain whilst walking. Give massage a try!

Its interesting that some of you have had success with minimalist shoes and other with padded shoes and orthotics. I've been on padded shoes with high arch supports for more than a year so I will try the minimalist approach and see how that goes. I already have several pairs of shoes with thin soles and heels less than 1cm high with no padding. Following Boneman’s advice I have ordered a copy of Older Yet Faster.

My calves are very flexible already. However, following on from Mike Hughes advice I have revisited my toe and foot stretching. I am spending much more time on it and doing extra stretch types. I have developed a lot more flexibility in my toes already. I will keep up with this.

If anyone has a link to what they consider the most effective stretching exercises please send it to me.

Thanks to a couple of respondents I am pursuing ultrasonic guided steroid injections. I did believe this was a pain management strategy, but some of you, my GP included, say it cured the problem. My GP has referred me to the musculoskeletal clinic which is a route to NHS treatment. If the waiting list is too long and the cost not so high I might go private for this.

A few people stating success with rollers and balls for the arch. I had a roller already and will keep on with this.

Shockwave therapy is another approach that makes sense, thanks Seeker-UK. I suspect this will have to be private, no mention of it when discussing with the GP. I’ll discuss this vs guided steroid injection if I get int a discussion with a private practise. NICE does refer to it, thanks mandryka.

I’ve tried strapping and at first thought it helpful, sq225917. The problem was the zinc oxide tape seemed to grip my skin too well and caused blisters when walking.

My osteopath offers something called "Shockwave Therapy" which she reckons is very good at treating the condition. In her experience, two rounds of treatment tends to make a difference, if not cure it.

https://www.nenevalleyosteo.co.uk/shockwave-therapy

Hopefully someone near you provides a similar treatment - it's worth checking out for the price.

Overview | Extracorporeal shockwave therapy for refractory plantar fasciitis | Guidance | NICE

Extracorporeal could be worth an explore. Suffered for years with "nodules" on my Achilles greatly affecting running/walking. It was depressingly debilitating. Must be about 10 years ago and was one of the first to receive the treatment in Aberdeen. Im sure its developed over recent years, and could at least be worth an explore. For me, it was almost a miracle cure!

Good luck seeking out a cure.
Steve.

I had it several years ago; you have my sympathy Paul! Mine was worst in the morning to the point where it was excrutiating to even put my foot flat on the floor getting out of bed.

Two things fixed it for me - a golf ball for massaging the sole of my foot and my local running shop for more supportive footwear. I wear trainers all the time, never need to wear shoes, and the guy there was superb - looked at me walking and recommended the Brooks GTS range. Together both of those things sorted me out over the course of a few months. I still wear Brooks to this day and the PF hasn't reoccurred thankfully.

Hope you manage to sort it.

I had a job where I was on my feet and developed PF. I even ruptured one of them. Orthopedic surgeon gave me orthotic shoe inserts which helped, but what cured it was getting a different job and becoming completely sedentary.

Thank you everyone not only for the advice, but the sympathy. I really appreciate the kind thoughts.

sq225917, I will look up keesovertoes guy.

Yank, I did have one spell where things improved, and when I looked back through my activity monitor I did do less footwork that month and the month previous. I had already reduced my walking, but I will see how far I can go with this.

Funk,based on the responses on this post I have upped the amount of foot roller time each day. I hit the foot twice per day now for about 10 minutes each time. A question to all who have had success with the roller, how much time per day and how many sessions per day worked for you?

poppop, once i get to see the musculoskeletal clinic staff I am going to ask about shockwave therapy, it seems like it might be a solution.

Don't use oxide tape use this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009757WVO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I used it for about six weeks After breaking my heels and having plates and screws in my feet after falling 30 foot onto wet sand while kite surfing.

Pretty much everything in my feet was smushed, the soles of my feet looked like a bag of veggy soup.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I feel for you my friend.
I had that stuff too. It just finally faded away, but you have to be very patient. It took me six months to be totally pain free. That was 4 years ago, and it hasn’t come back. The hard part was to go on walking and dancing. I never gave up on those.
Physiotherapy was of very little, perhaps no use I found.
Best wishes.

I hit the foot twice per day now for about 10 minutes each time. A question to all who have had success with the roller, how much time per day and how many sessions per day worked for you?

I couldn’t manage ten minutes due to the pain, but did shorter sessions at least 4x a day.

advertisement

Back