advertisement

2 years of lingering plantar fasciitis - any advice?

I've been suffering from PF for a couple of months so have been following this thread with interest. Thanks to all for the various suggestions and recommendations.

For me, using a massage gun on the calves before and after exercise seems to help a lot.

Glad you've had an improvement. Mine, which I had for a few years, went away after I gave up jogging and lost a bit of weight. The first few steps after getting out of bed in the morning were hellish. Hope it never returns.
Strangely, my two transient periods of PF happened shortly after I lost weight. I have no idea whether there was causation involved or just coincidence. Excess weight and PF are connected causally by many sources, including the NHS. Presumably that's from population statistics, but that's not my individual experience. I get the impression that professionally, on an individual treatment basis, PF is not well understood at all.

Strangely, my two transient periods of PF happened shortly after I lost weight. I have no idea whether there was causation involved or just coincidence. Excess weight and PF are connected causally by many sources, including the NHS. Presumably that's from population statistics, but that's not my individual experience. I get the impression that professionally, on an individual treatment basis, PF is not well understood at all.
I think you are right. My podiatrist never offered a convincing explanation; "This might work, and it might not". One thing I noticed was that changing my diet coincided with the PF reducing. At the time, I went meat, dairy, caffeine, alcohol free and it became easier to manage going downstairs first thing in the morning. No idea what the cause/effect was though. Miserable diet...thank God for chips. It did help me to stretch the feet first, before getting out of bed.

I'm really struggling today, the total foot pain returned to my right foot on Saturday and has stayed, on top of that I've got planter fasciitis back in my left foot after about a year free of it, it's much worse than the pain in my right foot.

Cheers BB

I am mostly wearing Barefoot shoes now (other than for running!) and getting on quite well with them. I do feel they are good for the feet. As for running, I might try some experiments but I am not going to embark on a 10 mile (or even a 5K) without working up to it.

I am mostly wearing Barefoot shoes now (other than for running!) and getting on quite well with them. I do feel they are good for the feet. As for running, I might try some experiments but I am not going to embark on a 10 mile (or even a 5K) without working up to it.
Pay heed to your own advice on going SLOW when working up to distances. If you have spent most of your life in the usual shoes we all wear it takes time for everything to adjust. Would hightly recommend the Older Yet Faster book mentioned earlier in this thread as there is a sequence of exercises for strengthening your feet/legs to get you read and all sorts of good info on running form. One of the best things about the book is the support on the FB page. The authors are amazing about helping you analyse running form and answering any questions you may have along the way.

After three solid months of this problem, a fix. These immediately allowed me to walk pain free. After two weeks the PF in my left heel/ arch has now gone. It could have been due to come to an end anyway but there’s no doubt I got immediate relief from the first use and cheap so nothing to lose.

Orthotic Insole Support https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MV5O648?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I had low expectations but my regret is not trying them sooner rather than have months of discomfort

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
i wore bespoke orthotics for about 3 years - made and fitted by the orthopaedic surgeon, who operated on my foot. They worked for about two years and then pain returned. My subsequent physio and podiatrist suggested i stopped using them, as gait analysis had shown my gait had changed. Pain reduced but has not going away, but i am living with a congenital defect in my feet. I would advise getting some gait analysis done before jumping in with orthotics without understanding the cause

I had custom orthotics made previously. The ones referred to above do not alter the positioning of my feet or gait, merely add arch support and heel cushioning. Great thing is, they worked!

I had custom orthotics made previously. The ones referred to above do not alter the positioning of my feet or gait, merely add arch support and heel cushioning. Great thing is, they worked!

Had an interesting wander round Alnwick last weekend and i was amazed at how many people had a bad gait. Typically feet were tipping inwards so it looked as if they were slipping inwards on soles. It was associated with a a slight knock kneed stance and walk. Maybe focussed on it a bit more as my feet felt a bit gouty on the cobbles. It's been a long, wet winter up there.

advertisement

Back