advertisement

2 x Chromecasts. Set up question.

kennyh

pfm Member
After setting up the Chromecast audio on a hifi system as recommended to me on here I'm very impressed with everything about the little item.

It now has me wanting to purchase the standard "none audio" version also. I would fit this on to a projector we have set up in the dining room which we use very rarely due to the hard wiring it needs from other sources. I reckon the tiny chromecast would do away with everything apart from its power chord.

Anyway my question is to anybody who has set both of these up at once.

I have the Googlehome app on both phone and tablet for the Audio version, do I just enable the devices to lock on to the new Chromecast and that's that?

Will there be 2 Chromecast options on the phone and tablet then and I just pick the one I need to cast, or is it maybe best having the phone for one and tablet for the other for simplicity?

Thanks again guys.

Anyway my question is to anybody who has set both of these up at once.

I have the Googlehome app on both phone and tablet for the Audio version, do I just enable the devices to lock on to the new Chromecast and that's that?

Yes. Give them different names, possibly including the room name; "CC Audio in Music Room" or "CC Video in Lounge" to ease identification

Will there be 2 Chromecast options on the phone and tablet then and I just pick the one I need to cast, or is it maybe best having the phone for one and tablet for the other for simplicity?

Yes, when you tap the cast button from your playback app (iPlayer, YouTube, Netflix, etc), if the device has both CCs in range, a pop-up appears with the choice of the two.

FYI, we have 3 CC Video and 1 CC Audio running at the moment...

The thing is though, I can't seem to cast from the Tidal/Youtube apps themselves. I have to set it to casting from the Google home app then go into Tidal or whatever.

Cheers for that Ronnie, good point about possible deals coming up.

I will check specs on the projector but I'm not sure it'll be 4k ready, if that was the case I wonder if the Ultra model would be wasted on it?

Shame that it isn't possible to cast the picture to a projector/TV and the sound to the hifi at the same time.

At least I don't think that is possible.

Shame that it isn't possible to cast the picture to a projector/TV and the sound to the hifi at the same time.

That would be great if we could find out if its poss.

As an aside, Google home is showing as loaded on my Galaxy phone and the Nexus. I am also trying to get it loaded on a windows laptop but can't fathom how to do it. Is this possible, I've read it is but buggered if I can work out how to do it.

I'm trying to get it on a Win 7 lappy. If it's not possible I will use the other Win 10 machine.

Many thanks once more!

Just realised the chromecast needs a power supply too like the CCA.

The projector has USB a and b sockets, the former being described as 1.5a. Do you reckon this would power the Chromecast rather than having the bloody power wire dragging across the room to the mains? Which sort of defeats the object of me getting one.

Sounds like it would be OK, you could try plugging a phone into it and see if it charges.

Cheers for that Ronnie, good point about possible deals coming up.

I will check specs on the projector but I'm not sure it'll be 4k ready, if that was the case I wonder if the Ultra model would be wasted on it?

If the projector was 4K ready, I think you'd remember by the hole in your wallet - proper 4K models start at about £5k and go up from there!

Just realised the chromecast needs a power supply too like the CCA.

The projector has USB a and b sockets, the former being described as 1.5a. Do you reckon this would power the Chromecast rather than having the bloody power wire dragging across the room to the mains? Which sort of defeats the object of me getting one.

I have got a Chromecast running off the back USB socket of a Samsung TV and it works fine. I can't see why 1.5a wouldn't be enough.

Many thanks again guys. Bought the new Chromecast and thanks to your advice it works a treat and is self powered from the back of the projector, thus eliminating all wires apart from the projectors power chord, result and thanks again.

Now a couple of other questions please.

1) I downloaded the Beebs Iplayer and it works a treat. To get all the other channels I then downloaded Filmon, however that's as sluggish as hell switching stations.
What is the preferred and maybe better app to use to get all the main and free to view stations please?

2) It seems like SKY have knobbled us from streaming the SKY go app again, even though we pay for it.......obviously to get you to go the "Sky any room" way. Any fixes for this you know of?

Again, very much appreciate the advice.

With the latest version of Home you can cast to multiple audio devices.

But according to this page https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7174267?hl=en
Note: Multi-room sync with video devices like Chromecast isn't currently supported.

You could always take the digital audio signal or of your TV and feed it into an external decoder

Many thanks again guys. Bought the new Chromecast and thanks to your advice it works a treat and is self powered from the back of the projector, thus eliminating all wires apart from the projectors power chord, result and thanks again.

Now a couple of other questions please.

1) I downloaded the Beebs Iplayer and it works a treat. To get all the other channels I then downloaded Filmon, however that's as sluggish as hell switching stations.
What is the preferred and maybe better app to use to get all the main and free to view stations please?

2) It seems like SKY have knobbled us from streaming the SKY go app again, even though we pay for it.......obviously to get you to go the "Sky any room" way. Any fixes for this you know of?

Again, very much appreciate the advice.

Surprised you are having trouble with FilmOn. Have you got the latest version - 2.0.30?

You can also try TVplayer and also UKTVPlay offers Dave, Really, Yesterday and Drama channels.

Of course ITV has the hub, and channels 4 and 5 have their own apps.

advertisement

Back