advertisement

2 John Peel TV Tributes Tonight

Gerard124

pfm Member
FROM RADIO TIMES WEBSITE:-

John Peel Tribute
10:00pm - 11:30pm
BBC2

Radio Times readers need no reminding of how much John Peel will be missed. For nearly a decade his dry and often personal column was one of the most loved parts of the Radio Times magazine. But it's as an iconic broadcaster that he'll be best remembered, perhaps the only voice that could ever be equally at home on Radio 1 and Radio 4. Excerpts from 1999's John Peel Night celebrating his 60th birthday, includes the documentary Turn That Racket Down. Plus Dear John in which musicians, friends and fellow broadcasters recall what John meant to them.

AND LATER ON

John Peel: In Session Tonight
12:00am - 1:30am
BBC4
A look through the archives at some of the acts that John championed on his Radio 1 show through the decades. Includes performances from The Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Roxy Music, The Specials, Joy Division, The Smiths, Billy Bragg, Orbital, Roni Size and The White Stripes.

Lovely stuff - Jo Wiley was brilliant.....best bit was Peely telling off the crew who were filming him planning his shows and asked him to turn the music off cos they couldn't hear him talking. He said something like "its kind of fundamental to planning a radio show that I listen to music"!!!

You grumpy old bugger!!!

Rich

I really enjoyed it too, but why is it Teenage Kicks gets played three times and there's hardly a mention of The Fall? Perhaps Mark E Smith refuses to have anything to do with it all? Now, if you thought Peel was a grumpy old bugger...

The BBC4 thing was great - taped it! The Fall were on doing Telephone Thing but yes they definitely got short changed compared to The Underones on the whole nights viewing.

A couple of gripes - firstly the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band were credited as the Bonzo Dog Doo Day Band (only a day after I saw Uncut magazine calling them the Bonzo Dog Dada Band - ****ers!)....and Damien O'Neill was credited as The Undertones bass guitarist on the Ash version of T Kicks (tut!).

Other than that - excellent.

You forget how good some of those old bands were - The Faces, Brinsley Schwarz, Captaon Beefheart, even the miming Bowie and Roxy!

Best for me were Joy Division - I remember that edition of Something Else - they did Transmission and She's Lost Control - and The Jam were on live as well.

God bless you John.......

Rich

I watched both the BBC2 documentary and the live ‘sessions’ footage, excellent stuff. The doc was especially good with plenty of typical Peel dourness that as ever cracked me up – I loved the line where he described being told to drop the ‘s’ from his real surname of Ravenscroft to Ravencroft when working on US radio early on as “It was apparently just too complicated… it would have required the collective memory of a small community to remember…”.

The sessions bit was good with lots of live footage from Peel favourites, but some strange omissions; no Tyrannosaurus Rex, no Krautrock, no African. Good to see some prime Syd period Floyd, Beefheart, Joy Division, Teardrop Explodes, Half Man Half Biscuit etc though.

Tony.

Sadly, it's only really now as I begin the lonely ascent to "Grumpy Old Bugger-age" that I begin to reaaly appreciate Peel.
His Radio 4 prog was wonderful. Totally un-ironic, but leavened with a gentle (and sometimes less than gentle) sardonic humour.
And now Fred Dibnah has shuffled off this mortal coil, too. The 80s already seem like another country.

Bugger bugger bugger - missed them!

We had people round and I completely forgot about the progs - mind you, we were eating, drinking and listening to music, so ho hum. Wonder if they'll get repeated....

I'd love to - can you make me a copy? Happy to fund the cost of the DVD - otherwise if I can borrow it, I can copy it here....

pop me an email - richard [at] hallman [dot] co [dot] uk

Many thanks....

Richard,

How about I make a copy, send it to you, if any other Pink Fishes want to watch it then you can take a copy and pass the original on.

Gerard

ps no need for any £s

There is also a programme on Channel 4 this Tuesday night at 23:40

From www.channel4.com

John Peel's Sounds of the Suburbs

Oxford
Another chance to see a classic episode of the series in which the late, great DJ journeyed through the suburbs and satellite towns of Britain, examining the landscapes and social conditions that gave birth to so many world-influencing musical and youth movements.

www.channel4.com

gerard - that's a great idea - if you've not already organised one to RickyC6 then I'll pass on to him after I've done me a copy.

gerard - that's a great idea - if you've not already organised one to RickyC6 then I'll pass on to him after I've done me a copy.

Richard,

I have just used my last 3 dvd-r (thats copies for you, me and RickyC6) so perhaps if anyone else wants a copy you can provide them with one?

Gerard

Saw the docu for his 60th birthday and felt happy and sad at the same time.

Jo Whiley's a bit of alright, though.

Mark E Smith,

On the night of John Peel's sad demise, there was an item on BBC TV re John Peel in which Mark E Smith was a guest. Unfortunately the man came over as a bit of an ass (imho). It appeared that decency was in short.

Brian

re oN THE NIGHT OF jOHN pEEL'S SAD DIMISEoN N

I really enjoyed it too, but why is it Teenage Kicks gets played three times and there's hardly a mention of The Fall? Perhaps Mark E Smith refuses to have anything to do with it all? Now, if you thought Peel was a grumpy old bugger...

Please excuse the quality of my previous posting, I seem to be having a I.T. literacy problem. Comments re Mark E Smith's tv appearance still stand.

Brian

I have several Fall albums and have seen them live 3 times, M.E.S came over a complete prick on Newsnight, what was it with the pissey attitude towards the presenter? now that Elton John has seen fit to apolgise for decades of theatrics has M.E.S decided to take over? what a self obsessed prat! hey Mark its wasnt about you!

For sad photo of Mark, look here, if that don't put you of drinking Joseph Holt's Bitter nothing will!

hey mark its not about you tonight

advertisement

Back