advertisement

2 HICAPS in an 82

PhilDick

pfm Member
Hi All,
I've just purchased a second HICAP for my 82 which is unmodified. My other HICAP has a Avondale ASR fitted.

My question is which one do I plug in where to get the best results? Bearing in mind that I have a CD based system.

I will a some point add a Avondale reg to the new one.

The 82 is split left and right by and large, so you need matching Hicaps I'm afraid. As Avondale no longer make the ASR you'd need to get them both to the same spec either by re-fitting Naim boards or fitting new regs to both. We can help you with either option.

FYI I was disappointed adding a second HiCap to the NAC82 but a SuperCap was substantially better. Strange really as the SuperCap was only being used internally as two HiCaps but there you go.

Cheers,

DV

Have a go!

I found there was a performance lift and didn't notice any imbalance between the channels.

Take the link out and the pre will only work with two Hicaps. They don't appear to be left and right Hicaps!

I ran an 82 with two serviced CB Hicaps for a while into a bolt down Nap160

It is one of the few setups I regret selling.

All you need do is take the lid off and see where the wires go!

The layout is fairly symmetric and you can easily identify that the stripey cables power one set of circuits from one DIN and the plain ones power the other set from the other DIN, with the 4 pin din in the middle linking the two sides.

Hence you need two identical HC's

I actually found two identical HC's better than an SC but a mismatched pair didn't work at all well (one H&F traffo and one Talema). I don't think brand of regs makes any difference since I could successfully pair one HC with NS regs and another with Semelab and also by virtue of the same experiment conclude that presence or absence of protection diodes makes no audible difference, but brand of res cap does make a difference.

I can also say that a DTC or Avondale supply will easily see off anything Naim make apart from the DR range.

Ok I might have a look inside. Both hicaps are crome bumper so should be mostly the same bar the regs. The one with the Avondale shunt reg has kendeil caps so I'll get a set for the new one when it arrives.

Here's a slightly better picture of probably the same 82 showing nearly all the power dins

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3848/14667163243_e463a9ddd4_b.jpg

on the LH din one white and one yellow go to the centre link plug.

The other yellow, which is the only output from that rail goes to the main output stage.

The other rail on that HC has three outgoing leads, grey goes to the phono boards, white to the time aligned buffer and red (hiding behind white) to the tape buffer.

The other din has similar power connections but in striped cables, plus signal connections and additional connections to the 4 pin socket below.

Thanks Coles. That's spot on. I have opened mine up and had a look and it's the same.

I guess I'll put the Naim reg board back into my original hicap for now and get some new smoothing caps for the new one and they will be a matching pair.

Later I'll get 2 tpr4s from Avondale.

Unless someone has (Or can build) ASR for me?:):):):)

The other yellow, which is the only output from that rail goes to the main output stage.

The other rail on that HC has three outgoing leads, grey goes to the phono boards, white to the time aligned buffer and red (hiding behind white) to the tape buffer.

The other din has similar power connections but in striped cables, plus signal connections and additional connections to the 4 pin socket below.

I assume then that the striped wires are the other channel's equivalents?

So the 82 could actually utilise 8 separate supplies from a Supercap or maybe even four HiCaps :eek:.

All we need now is for some enterprising chap to produce a mod for the 82............

:D:D

So the 82 could actually utilise 8 separate supplies from a Supercap or maybe even four HiCaps :eek:.

All we need now is for some enterprising chap to produce a mod for the 82............

:D:D

Job done! :cool:

We split the filter section into 2, then run 10 rails from a Supercap into it. We call it the Superlink mod. And you can still run it from an amp, one Hicap, two Hicaps or the Supercap.

My colleague also built a low-noise regulator (NEWT) for the Hicap that, together with a small wiring mod to it, makes it even better. They're not available for DIY fitment but we fit them to order. We can also fit these NEWT boards to the Supercap, NAITs, CDs, etc.

advertisement

Back