advertisement

2.15m ceiling

lavi

pfm Member
Hi all,

I will be moving from a 50sqm room with 2.45m ceilings, to a similar size room but with 2.15m ceilings.

Other factors taken aside, what is the likely impact on the sound I should expect?

Cheers,

LA
( TeddyDac, Teddy i80a, Cremona Auditors M, REL G2)

You'll start hearing "ouch" every time someone who is 2.2 mtrs tall stands up :)

Have you tried the room mode calculator yet? Input the height, length and width of the new room and it will tell you any problem freqs.

Depends entirely upon your speakers and the room dimensions (50 sq. metres means nothing in English !:)).

Personally, I wouldn't have thought it would make a scrap of negative difference in losing that extra foot, although your sound-staging may well be a little different; again, depending on (the size/format of) your speakers.

50sqm means an awful lot to me in English, it's alternatively spelt "bloody huge". Lucky you. That's a room 6m x 8m, or for those who haven't updated their measuring systems for 40 years, 26ft x 20. Big. My entire house is only about 3x this size and it's by no means a small place.

Your lowered ceiling will make no difference at all worth talking about.

As TBL says it's mostly about relative dimensions. Hopefully none are exact multiples of either of the others.

Avoid tall speakers that manage to put the tweeter midway to to the ceiling.

Your new room must look a bit odd with such "Pizza box" proportions. Is this a false ceiling with built in lights etc?

It must be handy to be able to change light bulbs without a step-ladder.

How the room sounds will depend on relative proportions, not absolute. I've found Louden's Ratios most illuminating.

loudenratiosradialbasisal9.png

The OP might find this online calculator helpful

But area does not denote dimensions, which is what I was alluding to.

Absolutely, if old room was 8 x 6 and new room is 4 x 12 there will be a huge difference. Even if the room dims are the same, changing from firing the speakers across the short wall to firing across the long wall will have more of an impact than the ceiling being slightly lower. And then there's room construction ...... it's not as simple as just room dimensions.

I have a 6 x 8m x 2.20 room , the difference is in the vertical bass modes and not much else , tho a diffuser/absorber on the ceiling to kill first reflections will also help.. but the room itself and the treatments you apply will dictate the sound , the slightly lower ceiling than you had before is likely to be of little consequence compared.

advertisement

Back