advertisement

1980's Dancehall Reggae thread.

Natara

pfm Member
This a thread for or any other collector's or casual enthusiasts of 1980's Dancehall.
From early pioneers of more roots based dancehall Barrington Levy, Johnny Osbourne, Yellowman and Eek a Mouse through to the gun toting Ragga stars of the late eighties Ninjaman, Beenieman and even Mr Lover man himself Shabba Ranks who despite his later commercial success still came up through the same dancehall scene.
So please post your favourite Labels, artists, producers and riddims and hopefully we can turn each other on to some great music.
If you don't know much about dancehall but are interested there are some great CD compilations that can probably be had quite cheaply or streamed via Spoyify or Tidal.
King Jammy's - Selectors choice vol 1 through to 4 are great although exclusively music from his own label.
Some ot the early Greensleeves Sampler's are ok as are the early Jet Star Reggae Hits releases are also ok.

Here are some Labels to look out for.
Jammy's
Studio 1
Techniques
Greensleeves
Jet Star
Scorpio
FireHouse
Power
Riddims are the Dubs or backing track's that many dancehall tracks are sung or chatted over (Jamaican version of rapping). A producer like King Jammy would build a backing track or Riddim cut an instrumental version or dub plate and then would play it at a dance where singers and rappers called DJ's in Jamaica would do their thing live over the dub plate.
These dances started out as promotional tools really a producer would set up a huge sound system (PA)somewhere and play the hits and his own dub plates. These then evolved into clashes where two Sound Systems would battle each other with their own exclusive dub plates and their own team of singers and rappers.
These producers had their own labels on which to release their music and so the bigger the 'Sound' (sound system) the better the Riddims the bigger the stars the more records got sold. The King of them all was King Jammy and his label's Jammy's and Super Power.
If you go onto you tube there are some great old video's of some of the big 'clashes' from the 80's beware though sound quality is not great. Also there are some interesting interviews with David Rodigan the early pioneer and champion of dancehall where he describes in detail the history of dancehall.
Riddims are the back bone of dancehall lots of different artists and producers would do their own variations of these riddims so many so that the riddims themselves where given names (see below)and whole compilations released with manny artist's performing over just one riddim.
Answer Riddim
Real Rock
Heavenless
Sleng Teng - The massive digital riddim that changed the face of dancehall.
Stalag
Punanny
Taxi
Cuss Cuss
To name just a few.

I'm big fan of Sandra Cross, she's more in the UK lovers rock vein but she released some "Riddims" under the name "Sandra" as well.

Country Living was a great album, you are right Lovers Rock was a UK variant of Reggae and if you like Sandra Cross check out Caroll Thompsom too.
I'm big fan of Sandra Cross, she's more in the UK lovers rock vein but she released some "Riddims" under the name "Sandra" as well.

Why Rexton Rawlston Fernando Gordon changed his name to Shabba Ranks I will never know? If I was called Rexton Rawlston Fernando Gordon I'd want the world to know it. The biggest selling Dancehall artist of all time was parodied on Spitting Image a sure sign your famous with the fantastic Shabba ****ing puppet.

I love me Blue Beat, Ska, Dub and Reggae but I have failed to get into Dancehall.

Think I will have a go at Natara's list to see if I can move my senses.

Bloss

I love me Blue Beat, Ska, Dub and Reggae but I have failed to get into Dancehall.

Think I will have a go at Natara's list to see if I can move my senses.

Bloss

Listen to the earlier stuff pre 85 less digital and less heavy and more like the reggae you like try Anthony Johnson - Gunshot, Cornell Campbell - The Gorgon, Barrington Levy - Murderer or Frankie Paul - Pass the Tu Sheng Peng.

Great thread this and really helpful having been crate digging in Bristol where I'm overwhelmed with the amount of reggae, ska and dance-floor and not knowning where to start when there's no battered old SL1200 in-situ to sample the slabs.
My latest gem is King Tubby's hidden treasures, late night on the headphones with a rum n' coke, lovely.

Dancehall is where me and reggae parted ways - too much slackness, homophobia, and too many samey vocals and rhythms.

Forgot about the homophobia, that is what put me off first time around.

This was a problem before Dancehall with a lot of music from Jamaica, also part of
the Rastas beliefs and some Jamaicans.

Bloss

If you haven't heard Admiral Bailey, Cutty Ranks or Josey Wales

Try Admiral Bailey - Big Belly Man or Kill Them With It
Cutty Ranks - The Stopper or Hand Grenade

Great shout Big Tabs,
Look at Josey Wales him a big belly man, Look at Chucka Demus him a big belly man, man.
Get some belly, just get some belly - ly!

Great shout Big Tabs,
Look at Josey Wales him a big belly man, Look at Chucka Demus him a big belly man, man.
Get some belly, just get some belly - ly!

If you like that, you may like this -

Mungo's Hi-Fi (collective from Glasgow)

Listen to the L.P. 'Serious Time' a good intro to their stuff.

If you like that, you may like this -

Mungo's Hi-Fi (collective from Glasgow)

Listen to the L.P. 'Serious Time' a good intro to their stuff.

Great Lp Big Tabs I have the double vinyl release and the Lp they did with Kenny Knots and Prince Fatty excellent stuff.

Mungo's Hifi ft Johhny osbourne Ice cream love on Scotch Bonnet 7'' is also excellent.

Sound System Champions is the other album i have (both on vinyl n mp3 download)

If you join Scotch Bonnet records? that is their label and you get free downloads etc.

They are very good/loud live so I am reliably informed.

Sound System Champions is the other album i have (both on vinyl n mp3 download)

If you join Scotch Bonnet records? that is their label and you get free downloads etc.

They are very good/loud live so I am reliably informed.

Thanks for that Big Tabs , I will join up love a few free downloads.

advertisement

Back