advertisement

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstacy
John Martyn - Solid Air
The Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me

I still play all of these on a fairly regular basis.

If I look at 1973, and the number of LPs I bought at the time but no longer own (with no regrets), then charitably I have to think of it as a year of transition. Saw Roxy Music, which was utterly transformative.

Overwhelming memory - all those Roger Dean covers! And starting to find out about jazz.

Top 5 that have lasted :

Aladdin Sane - Bowie
For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music
Headhunters - Herbie Hancock
Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Spectrum - Billy Cobham ( and that sample for Massive Attack's Blue Lines)

No mention yet of Rock On by David Essex? It shows a lot of promise, that sadly didn't materialise in his subsequent career.

Popol Vuh - Seligpreisung
Can - Future Days
Tangerine Dream - Atem
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Roy Harper - Lifemask

A bit surprised to realise no Miles Davis that year, seems to be a bit of an end of an era for Miles.

In 73 I was 11 years of age and wouldn't be picking these up till the end of the decade. I was more concerned if my luckybag contained the desired wee parachute man or a useless lassies bangle.

A few bits from my collection from 1973.

David Bowie – Pinups
Faust ‎– The Faust Tapes
Humble Pie – Eat it
New York Dolls - New York Dolls
Pink Floyd – Dark side of the moon
Iggy And the Stooges ‎– Raw Power
Sun Ra ‎– Space Is the Place

I have the Wishbone multi CD Vintage Years box set which has live shows from Southampton and Portsmouth from the 73 tour and they are great shows. I didn’t see them until 1976 by which time Ted Turner had left - so I never saw the original band live although I’ve seen the Andy Powell version many times - including once with Ted Turner back in the fold in a grotty hotel gig in Aberdeen . They lost a lot - like lead vocals, musical invention, and stage presence- when Martin Turner left.

And I envy you the Little Feat gig - I caught them post Lowell in Amsterdam and they were still pretty awesome - love the late Richie Hayward’s drumming.....

I have the same WA Vintage Years box set. Might I suggest that you take the opportunity to check out Martin Turner ex-WA (as he is billed, post high court case)? Martin has a great band behind him who really try their hardest to recreate the sound of the classic albums, note for note. From September 2021 onwards they will be touring the Wishbone Four album.

Ha ! Brilliant thread! I've got a few of these albums. I'll check out some that I've not got. I want to celebrate the 50th birthday of my Tannoy Monitor Gold 3LZ Loudspeakers in 2023, so listening to music from '73 will be a great way to mark that! :D

I have the same WA Vintage Years box set. Might I suggest that you take the opportunity to check out Martin Turner ex-WA (as he is billed, post high court case)? Martin has a great band behind him who really try their hardest to recreate the sound of the classic albums, note for note. From September 2021 onwards they will be touring the Wishbone Four album.

Thanks- I have seen that he has been touring recently although he hasn’t done too much up in Scotland. I will have a look at his website and see if I can catch him somewhere relatively near to me!

Considering his prodigious output both as a solo artist and with VDGG, I was also surprised no Peter Hammill releases in 1973.

Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me
Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink. The Player You Get
Frank Zappa - Overnight Sensation
Gong - Flying Teapot

advertisement

Back