advertisement

1970s receiver/integrated to recommend?

Rotel RX602.

Most of my youth was spent listening to this unit, my Dads via Celestion Ditton 44s and a Garrard Zero 100sb.

Magical moment was listening to Steve Miller 'Macho City' on FM with some Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones, dont think I have enjoyed a piece of music more!

I've posted this elsewhere, but if you'll forgive the repetition, the Leak Delta 75 is worth having a listen to. The 70's Leak stuff is still available for peanuts and doesn't disgrace itself sonically.

Cheers
Adrian

Armstrong 626 - shame about the DIN speaker sockets
Goodmans Module 90. 120 or 150
or one of those sleak silver B & O ones

Mike

Tandberg TR3030 - a unique and quite spectacular receiver - I keep trying to persuade my brother that he should get rid of his.

Good thread. I kind of assumed it would be full of silver Japanese kit so interesting to read the suggestions.

Bit of a boring suggestion perhaps but how about a NAD 7020?

well, I spent a good portion of my afternoon looking at 70s era amps/recievers/

the Kenwood (5400, 6400)

really won me over.

Harman Kardon 330A.

Fabulous receiver, typical HK build quality of the era and beguiling sound. I use one every day, like new even now and never a problem with it. Can find them for reasonable money too.

As above, vintage HK is really nice. I've had quite a few different vintage amps/receivers & can recommend the following on a tight budget:

The Harman/Kardon A-401 Console Amplifier, built like a brick outhouse & finished in champagne gold. IIRC it outputs a conservative 20wpc but the power supply would suite 50wpc+

2.jpg

Next up is the New Acoustic Dimension (N.A.D) 160a receiver, this is a quality bit of kit (all 16kg of it!) good for 55wpc up there with the very best vintage receivers for 1/10 of the price. A personal favorite.

nad_160a_10.jpg

Finally, if you are on a really tight budget theres nothing wrong with the venerable Sansui AU-101, you should be able to find a good one for under £40. Many thousands have started their hifi journey with this amp yet its that good many never felt the need to change...

SansuiAU101.jpg

I picked up a Technics SU8080 (aka 80a) for a chum a while back. Made from 76-80, it produces 72 WPC, has a dedicated power supply for each channel and a great phono stage. A relative lightweight at 13.5kg.

Neither of the following are my pics:

6361m11_20.jpeg

6854067842_62e1f84b24_b.jpg

These kind of amps go cheaper on Gumtree than Ebay, but not so frequently listed.

advertisement

Back