advertisement

10cc and Queen

Absolutely don’t see the Steely Dan comparison at all. The Dan had 2 vocalists whilst 10cc had 4. The Dan smoothed off all rough edges very quickly whereas that only happened with 10cc once Godley and Creme departed. The Dan’s musicianship was of US session quality but as individual players they lacked chatacter whereas I’d know, for example, Godley’s drumming on any song and Stewart’s guotar lines similarly going back to Hotlegs and beyond. The humour thing doesn’t equate either. The 10cc humour was overt. One could play the entire oevre and not notice any comedic content. It is obtuse to say the least. I say that as the owner of at least 3 albums. Also fair to say thst Dan were coldand distant whereas the original 10cc were often warm and empathetic. See Old Wild Men etc.

I’ve seen the comparison made before but I tend to think it‘s a poor, lazy one.

I think it's more a comparison in relation to recording perfection, rather than musical similarities. Maybe it happened because both bands existed in the same time frame?

If I'm not mistaken, the members of 10cc have Neil Sedaka to thank for getting the band together to record an album of their own after producing and being session musicians on his album, I could be wrong and I can't remember where I read that, does anyone know if that's true, as for the Steely Dan similarities, I feel 10cc were more obvious with their humour but only if you listen to the whole album, at the time of release most of my peers would have only heard the singles, as soon as I had enough pocket money I made a beeline to the record shop for the album, the humour for this 12 year old at the time went a bit over my head but became more obvious the more I listened, first time I heard Steely Dan was Hatian Divorce, became hooked after that, the Royal Scam being my favourite Dan album.

If I'm not mistaken, the members of 10cc have Neil Sedaka to thank for getting the band together to record an album of their own after producing and being session musicians on his album, I could be wrong and I can't remember where I read that, does anyone know if that's true, as for the Steely Dan similarities, I feel 10cc were more obvious with their humour but only if you listen to the whole album, at the time of release most of my peers would have only heard the singles, as soon as I had enough pocket money I made a beeline to the record shop for the album, the humour for this 12 year old at the time went a bit over my head but became more obvious the more I listened, first time I heard Steely Dan was Hatian Divorce, became hooked after that, the Royal Scam being my favourite Dan album.

I made a reference to the 10cc produced and musicians for Neil Sedaka a few days ago.

Post in thread 'Headway Brain Injury Charity - Records - Mapperley, Nottm.'
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...y-records-mapperley-nottm.285966/post-5240675

Neil Sedaka – The Tra-La Days Are Over​

Neil Sedaka - The Tra-La Days Are Over album cover

Nice one. This gets a spin every now and again... Suite.

tv7Bhrn.jpeg

advertisement

Back