advertisement

10cc and Queen

gregory lynch

pfm Member
Just finished an enjoyable morning listening to the first four 10cc albums which got me thinking, I'm not in love was a successful single and a long one, clocking in at just over 6 minutes, Bohemian Rhapsody I believe is just a bit longer, I was wondering what your thoughts are on the track one night in Paris, could it have been a single, I find the storyline better than Queens offering and although a good song with plenty of drama and a great ending could 10cc have released one night in Paris or was it too long.

First time I heard "Killer Queen", which was through the ceiling speakers in a university cafeteria, I thought it was a new 10cc song. It's not a million miles from the kind of stuff on the "Sheet Music" album, and not much like "Keep Yourself Alive" or "Great King Rat" which were the only Queen songs I'd heard at the time.

John Miles 'Music' from the same time period clocked in around six minutes as well.
Forgot about that one, only played the album the other day as well, don't remember the Orb track, I'll have a listen later, what other long singles were released, was I don't like Mondays quite long.

I have a 7" 45 of Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd that is 9.08 long (but the original single edit was 4 minutes or so).

How Dare You remains my favourite 10CC album, quirky and I guess I grew up with it. As a young kid I liked early Queen (up to Live Killers I’d say) whilst my older sister would moan looking at that ponce prancing around in leotards. Wind the clock forward several years and after her loving their 80s output (I didn’t) she was one of the faithful outside Freddie’s house on the night his death was announce. Jazz remains my favourite album.

I‘ve got that same Freebird full version except the 12” single.

Those first four albums are wonderful.

One Night In Paris could never have been a single. Nothing to do with length. Everything to do with it not having the melodic strength.

Going back to Queen (10cc vs Queen) I bought Seven Seas of Rye as a single on release and thought it was great. Then I heard the LP. And I never bothered with them again. Just found the whole thing annoyingly OTT and it got worse as time progressed (going into a pub back then and the bloody jukebox always had Queen playing)
There was a whole load of other stuff going on that was far more interesting at the time. Roxy Music B sides always got my 5p in the jukebox (or whatever it cost back then)

Am I ranting? Sorry. I'll shurrup.

Having grown up with both I reckon 10cc were the English equivalent of Steely Dan.

Consumate players with high production values and wonderfully dry and sardonic lyrics.

Another parallel - Fagen and Becker were staff songwriters for ABC/Dunhill records for a time. 10cc's Graham Gouldman wrote songs for the Yardbirds, Herman's Hermits and others, and the 10cc guys also wrote and recorded a lot of bubblegum music released under various pseudonyms.

Ah yeah. Very true. TBH I've been a fan since Hotlegs and I'm a Neanderthal Man. Still love that record. Those recorders at the end?

Used to play the recorder. Miss those days.

Going back to Queen (10cc vs Queen) I bought Seven Seas of Rye as a single on release and thought it was great. Then I heard the LP. And I never bothered with them again. Just found the whole thing annoyingly OTT and it got worse as time progressed (going into a pub back then and the bloody jukebox always had Queen playing)
There was a whole load of other stuff going on that was far more interesting at the time. Roxy Music B sides always got my 5p in the jukebox (or whatever it cost back then)

Am I ranting? Sorry. I'll shurrup.
Not at all, I only knew the smooth Ferry dominated singles from the 80s ( and Dylanesque) and only yesterday received their first album on remastered half-speed from original backing tapes vinyl. A shock by comparison with elements of glam, pre-punk, progressive etc. I really like it. Today an original mint Avalon arrived and whilst 10 years apart and smoother I really like that too.

Ah yeah. Very true. TBH I've been a fan since Hotlegs and I'm a Neanderthal Man. Still love that record. Those recorders at the end?

Used to play the recorder. Miss those days.

I have their compilation album "You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It".

"Neanderthal Man" is such an odd mix, with the drums in the foreground and everything else buried, but it got played on the radio.

Worth having the Ramases album, "Space Hymns" as well. 10cc back a central heating fitter from Sheffield who thought he was the reincarnation of a Pharaoh.

As much as I like 10cc, I was more a fan of Godley & Creme.

advertisement

Back