Blur - Beetlebum
Free - All Right Now
Jefferson Airplane - If You Feel Like China Breaking
Hollies - I Can't Let Go
Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The UK
Ike & Tina Turner - River Deep Mountain High
Phish - Bouncing Round The Room
Sly And The Family Stone - Dance To The Music

Sound and Vision - David Bowie, it takes half the song to get to the lyrics, by which you've been introduced to pretty much the whole gamut of heartbreaking emotions of the song...
Our Prayer/Gee (which is the first track of Smile, so it's the intro!) - Brian Wilson... sooo beautiful, beach boy harmonies at their best
Search and Destroy - Iggy & The Stooges, like "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm" couldn't be great...
Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles... once you hear those first few seconds you know nothing will be the same again... timeless.
Baba O'Riley - The Who... enough said, the intro to bury all other intros... ok, yeah I know... you know what I mean...
Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan... I can't bother myself to explain.
I Have Been in You - Frank Zappa... it's just such a great doo wopish intro to a song that's about the physical aspect of sex (and a prominent song in Wong Kar-Wai's Happy Together movie about two chinese gay guys in Buenos Aires)... just to keep up the pun, I have been in and out of Zappa through the years...
Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson... Although I prefer Fred Neil's original version, the intro of Nilsson's version keeps buzzin in one's head... maybe because it's used all throughout the song (and the Midnight Cowboy film)?

and the curveball...

Farmer in The City - Scott Walker... which you can find in his 1995 Tilt album... there is no intro like this anywhere (first song in the album too), except maybe in avant garde opera (of which I know nil)... it gives me the chills still, after 13 years...

Pere Ubu, Non-Alignment Pact
John Coltrane, Venus
The Fall, Bingo Master's Break Out
Throbbing Gristle, Weapon Training
+ others

-- Ian

Zep- GoodTBTimes.
Minutemen- The engine starting each side if Double Nickels.. played loud.
Damned- New Rose.
Pavement- The opening riff of Slanted & Enchanted- it hits so damn succinctly.

Farmer in The City - Scott Walker... which you can find in his 1995 Tilt album... there is no intro like this anywhere (first song in the album too), except maybe in avant garde opera (of which I know nil)... it gives me the chills still, after 13 years...[/QUOTE]

Totally agreed - my mind went straight to this as well! My respect for him just keeps growing.

There's a Crumb piece (the 20th century composer) that has an insane opening - Black Angels or something? It's on a Kronos Quartet cd...

Rocks Off by the Rolling Stones
The Green Manalishi by Fleetwood Mac
Reward by The Teardrop Explodes
Wake Up Boo by the Boo Radleys
Paris 1919 by John Cale
Teenage Nervous Breakdown by Little Feat
Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks
King Harvest (is surely come) by The Band
Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie
I Can't Control Myself by The Troggs

Wheels of Confusion - Black Sabbath. Startled my 15 y.o. nephew with this!

Queen Bitch, Bowie :- Love that Mick Ronson.

Lady Stardust, Bowie.

Peaches :- Stranglers

Groove Armada:the one with the nice electronic spacey noises. at the start.

Breathe :- Pink Floyd.

Coldplay , Clocks :- latin rhythm mix from 'Music Del Mondo' .Amazing!

War Pigs :- Black Sabbath

Smells Like teen Spirit:- Nirvana ( May KC rest in peace) :- Totally blew me away the first time I heard it.

There's nothing like a bit of feedback to start a song:

EXP - Hendrix (Axis: bold as as love)

Anthrax - Gang of Four (Entertainment)

Dan

How can one omit the Young Brothers.

Inject the Venom

What Do You Do For Money Honey

Hells Bells

Thunderstruck

Back In Black

Sin City

High Voltage

For Those About To Rock

Spellbound

Rosie

Aye, the Goldfrapp's a good choice, but I prefer the start to the next track on the album, Paper Bag, with its typically indecipherable opening lyrics: 'No time to ****, But you like the rush'.

But instead of that, I'll choose a song I don't even own a copy of:

Voodoo Child (Slight Return), as heard in Withnail and I, when Withnail is 'making time' on the motorway.

advertisement

Back