Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

“Audio Memory” ?

Discussion in 'audio' started by fegs, Jun 13, 2020.

1. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I must agree there. A great performer but a lousy voice.
    Damn, did I say THAT out loud? :eek:

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

We all heard it, but don’t worry, we’ll have forgotten what we heard within about 2-3 minutes...

Curtis likes this.
  3. PBB

PBB pfm Member

4. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Yeah but it's not just about the voice. It's about the ideas behind it. If the voice was all that mattered we'd all be listening to Pop Idol winners.

fegs likes this.
  5. PBB

PBB pfm Member

It is very short for most normally constituted humans.
    Audiophiles are superhumans though, but never attempt to test their powers, I understand that the mere suggestion blunts their gawd given gift.

Curtis likes this.
  6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

So how do you remember a piece of music, or do you find yourself, goldfish-like, hearing it afresh every time?

7. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Certainly not the greatest singer of all time but then I've never heard anyone make that claim .
    David Bowie was definitely one of the most creative, innovative, songwriting musicians this planet has produced with a career spanning six decades. Unlikely we will ever see the same again.

8. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

My audio memory is mostly down assigning what I hear into pigeon holes. In other words I recall characteristics of what I hear rather than the exact sound....this works fairly well for me over longish periods. If doing a direct A/B then I'll use my memory of the sounds.

9. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Define 'commonly'

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It depends what you mean by "aural memory". A voice can do it immediately, differences between stereos, hmm. Less certain. A couple of years ago I was in a shop chatting to a pal as we wandered round. As we approached the counter the cashier, who I had seen but didn't recognise, asked me "Excuse me, is your name Stephen?" Yes it is, and immediately she spoke I knew her name, nickname and when I had last seen her. Primary school, about 35 years previously. I would never have recognised the 45 year old version from my memory of the little girl who was one of my pals when I was 10 years old, but I immediately knew her when she spoke, with absolute confidence.

Other memories are less reliable. Most of the cable threads go on for ever because some people believe that their ears and brains are analytical machines that can never imagine anything. "I've heard it therefore there is a physical difference". On the other side of the fence are people like me who believe that the response to music varies according to a variety of factors and that ears/brains are a really unreliable measure, especially on a one-off listen.

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

More frequently than ‘never’ but less frequently than ‘always’. Probably somewhere closer to ‘always’ than ‘never’.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  12. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Cited whilst slouching along with a sneer, hands in pockets and blowing bubbles through gum in a way of which your parents would have disapproved.

Rockmeister likes this.
  13. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Absolutely, but isn't that why we listen to music?

If that experience suspended disbelief and grabbed me emotionally, then I surmise the hifi has done a good - nay, great - job in reproducing the music. I rarely focus on any particularly aspect of the sound these days, unless it jumps out at me.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and Mr Pig like this.
  14. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

You’re correct about voices.

A young lady, who was a ( sort-of girlfriend ) in the late 1960s has a very distinctive voice.
    I rather liked it.
    As with all things, she didn’t marry me ( shame ) and moved to Bristol with her new husband Greg.
    Over the years, I never forgot her voice.

Then, about 5 years ago she ‘phoned to give me some news.
    I instantly knew it was her, almost before she spoke the second word.
    It was amazing and it has never happened to me, before or since.

We met up this summer and of course she’s changed, but that voice...

15. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Oh yes, very good. I'd certainly subscribe if you ever get a crowd fund thing going to support you attending 'comicsrus' school in France, or Vienna, or anywhere...

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Define ‘certainly’

17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Hanging like a badly fitted drape...

Rockmeister likes this.
  18. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

The further away the better.
    Oh sry. Wrong bit. Like uncertainly but faster, and backwards.

19. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Serious question: have I done something to upset or annoy you?

20. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Just the world pissing me off Steve. I was being grouchy. Ignore me, apologise.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.