Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

‘Double Dac?’

Discussion in 'audio' started by Ian Stafford, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Ian Stafford

Ian Stafford Active Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question:
    I have a Fiio x5 3rd gen that I play straight into my amp. If I play it through an Arcam irDAC will that effectively ‘double dac’ it or does the Fiio dac become disabled?

2. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Not sure I understand the question here. A DAC is a digital to analogue converter, so it outputs an analogue signal. For the Fiio to output a digital signal to your Arcam DAC it cannot be passing the signal through its own DAC by definition.

3. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

A DAC can only read and decode a digital signal input, so the Arcam will be fed what it "sees as nonsense".

That apart, what voltages are involved? Unless a digital signal voltage is at or higher than line level, you will potentially damage the Arcam by sticking line level volts into the digital in. I appreciate that I could search for the voltage of a digital signal, online, but I have no idea otherwise.

4. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Fiio X5 use a 3.5mm CoAxial adapter cable or Mini USB to Mini USB cable to iRDAC

Fiio in DAC mode - check the User Guide for how

Fiio is them just acting as a Digital Network Player/Streamer and all the DAC action happens within the Arcam

5. Ian Stafford

Told you it may be a stupid question!
    The signal out from the fiio must be analogue and therefore using its inbuilt dac. I suppose I’m wondered if I could use the arcam dac instead if the fiio’s.
    I think I’ve answered my own question after some googling, I need to use the digital (usb out) out to the arcam.

6. Ian Stafford

Thank you, it’s now clear!

7. Amber Audio

No worries, the only stupid question is the one left unasked - so I was told by a wise man

Salamander and Vinny like this.
  8. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Not stupid, but poorly worded unless the reader is very familiar with the kit, and nothing is ever obviously poorly worded by the writer.

9. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

You could always buy a small Analogue To Digital converter and use this to re-digitse the analogue output of the Fiio so that you can then use the Arcam to turn it back to analogue again.

That could be fun. :)

10. Amber Audio

Like a baby crying out for its father

D..A..A..D..D..A​

11. mansr

mansr Objectionist

S/PDIF is 0.5 Vpp, but it's very unlikely that a receiver would be damaged by normal line level signals.

12. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

This is what I do with a Behringer UCA222 (cheapo Chinese DAC, which also functions as an ADC) - run USB into it and optical out to a Rega DAC, so the Behringer acts only as a USB to SPDIF converter.