advertisement

‘Definitive’ Sun Ra Lanquidity reissue on Strut up for pre-order...

Priced at about £50 for effectively 4 LPs (pre-order at Juno) - that doesn’t speak high quality pressing plant to me (RTI, Pallas, Optimal). Hope I’m wrong, can’t find any reference. The ‘cut loud at 45 rpm’ description also puts me off. One for DJs? And flippers?

There was/is a nice sounding legitimately licensed HDCD available of the original mix, released about 15 years ago.

I picked up a version of this 10 years or so back on Philly Jazz, so not a CD transfer although Discogs has it down as a reissue, date unknown.

It's a really fine record - Ra's typically unique take on a fusion . I'd love to hear the new version but don't in any way need it. ;)

Last edited:
I picked up a version of this 10 years or so back on Philly Jazz, so not a CD transfer although Discogs has it down as a reissue, date unknown.

I'm pretty sure my copy is an iffy Scorpio pressing so quite possibly a CD transfer. I have a bunch of Scorpio Ra LPs - many I understand pressed using the Evidence CDs. I'll live :)

Apparently the only Sun Ra LP that John Zorn likes. Make of that what you will...

I'm pretty sure my copy is an iffy Scorpio pressing so quite possibly a CD transfer. I have a bunch of Scorpio Ra LPs - many I understand pressed using the Evidence CDs. I'll live :)

Highly likely Scorpio - the estate was taken advantage of big time after Alton Abraham and Sun Ra passed away and whilst legal aspects were being sorted by M.D.Anderson. There is a very interesting interview with Anderson which I can find if you are interested.

Apparently the only Sun Ra LP that John Zorn likes. Make of that what you will...

Not a lot, although it surprises me in some ways.

There is a very interesting interview with Anderson which I can find if you are interested.

Yes please - thank you Graham.

There have been so many Sun Ra releases on so many labels in recent years that I'd just assumed many of them weren't properly licensed. But then I've also seen pressings I'd thought were likely pirated on the Arkestra merch table. So who knows.

advertisement

Back