advertisement

‘Contempt of Parliament’

My point was if they are not met, anything negotiated - not that it could - would be worse than remain.
Yes, I agreed with that point upthread. Any outcome I can imagine will be worse than remain. (And the tests might still be used to get us to a position where that becomes an option, although I don't see how they have any real force any more.) Or rather, worse than being in the EU before this whole thing happened. I can imagine scenarios now where remain would be quite a bit worse than anything I've lived through so far.

And just to fog it all.. we have to remember that 'yer average' leave voter wants his 'sovrinty' back. He doesn't know what it is, but he misses it like ****.
Also, he wants the EU to stop making our laws. He can't name any examples apart from straight bananas, but he wants it stopped.
And he wants to stop all them immigrants coming in from the black countries in the EU.

And to top it all the sovrinty of Parliament is stopping him getting his sovrinty back o_O

This thread is in danger of conflating with the Brexit one, so I have just one question. I thought the vote of contempt would result in the suspension of someone, e.g. Lidington or Cox.

I haven't been keeping up, but did that actually happen?

This thread is in danger of conflating with the Brexit one, so I have just one question. I thought the vote of contempt would result in the suspension of someone, e.g. Lidington or Cox.

I haven't been keeping up, but did that actually happen?

No, because AIUI the Labour motion made it clear that the contempt was 'inadvertent' and not the fault of any one person.

FWIW I’d like to see a party with the spine to call the referendum fraudulent, which it very clearly was, and just to render it null and void. That alone is basis for a future referendum, but no great rush, any time in the next century would be fine! I really don’t see why we should flush our future economy, prosperity and rights down the shitter based on a series of lies, criminality and political incompetence. If this had been any sporting event the results would have been overturned by now. If it had a been a business contract it would have been ruled fraudulent/void and the company would be sued for mis-selling.

Well on that basis we should have a 'referendum' for every GE result in the last few decades. After all the manifestos are never kept to so in essence it's just as 'fraudulent'. Anyone up for that ?

CHE

Well on that basis we should have a 'referendum' for every GE result in the last few decades. After all the manifestos are never kept to so in essence it's just as 'fraudulent'. Anyone up for that ?

CHE

Ridiculous. Give us the chance to try being out of the EU for 4-5 years and then the option of changing our minds, and a lot of this shouting could stop.

CHE
Yes

Trouble is, once we are out, we will get so dominated by US and other non- EU interests that a return will become impossible.

No, because AIUI the Labour motion made it clear that the contempt was 'inadvertent' and not the fault of any one person.
If this wasn’t ‘wilful’ contempt, why would the government go to such lengths to withhold the information? If I accidentally failed to include data in a report or presentation that had a significant bearing on my argument, I’d produce it immediately or commit to showing it as soon as I could. May seems to have had a little Trump rubbed off on her.

Apart from loss of face - and, in this instance, being forced to publish the legal advice in question - what are the practical and legal consequences for a Government being found in contempt of Parliament?

I can imagine scenarios now where remain would be quite a bit worse than anything I've lived through so far.

Why do you think this , Sean : I think the EU will bend over backwards (well, maybe not quite that far) to restore the UK as an ongoing member ?

Why do you think this , Sean : I think the EU will bend over backwards (well, maybe not quite that far) to restore the UK as an ongoing member ?
It's the domestic situation I'm thinking of: there are consequences to whipping away a referendum result from under people, especially when it was an anti-establishment (and nihilistic) result to begin with. Increasingly though I just think ____ it: around half the people who'll care are just total b______s and will be dead soon anyway. The risk of a right wing upsurge will be if both parties implode but I actually think it will only be the Tories. Probably the only reason a reverse ferret hasn't already happened.

Tony L said:
FWIW I’d like to see a party with the spine to call the referendum fraudulent, which it very clearly was, and just to render it null and void. That alone is basis for a future referendum, but no great rush, any time in the next century would be fine! I really don’t see why we should flush our future economy, prosperity and rights down the shitter based on a series of lies, criminality and political incompetence. If this had been any sporting event the results would have been overturned by now. If it had a been a business contract it would have been ruled fraudulent/void and the company would be sued for mis-selling.

If this were the case would some not have looked into this & why has not one single person or persons opened a case against the leave campaign (in regard to ending Brexit based on the points you have made), the absence of any such case being brought forward, especially after 2 & a half years of remain banging on about this, surely speaks volumes.

advertisement

Back