advertisement

¿ new idler ? and grease for grey-grease 301

The problem with Garrards is there are at least four expert schools of thought e.g. Loricraft, Bastin, Shindo, Oswald Mills etc, all of whom have arrived at very different solutions, all of whom are greatly respected. Knowledge is by nature never static, people discover new things, otherwise we'd still all be using the sprung SME 2000 plinth system of the 1960s. There are no simplistic "right" answers here, only alternatives from which to choose.

Tony.

Tony

What you say is true and yes we could be discussing this forever without end.

I think it is fair to say that Loricraft are regarded as most as being the experts but a lot of people do not buy their stuff because of the price.

The use of a solid wooden plinth, squash balls and a light weight mounting board seems to bring about the best results and I am happy to live with that.

I think there comes a time, which I am now at, that you just want to give up buggering about with kit and just sit back and listen to the music.

Upgraditus no longer exists for me .

Regards

Mick

Mick, I take it you've not looked at the price tag of Shindo or Oswald Mills! ;-)

Tony.

PS I'm with you on the upgraditus thing, though not quite there myself yet...

As Tony says, there is no one "best". It's an easy assumption but not always valid to say "the experts will have tried everything and come up with the best thing possible". It's easy to slide from there to "this cost me an awful lot of money therefore it's the best". We all know that while the best is necessarily expensive, it does not follow that that which is expensive is always the best, witness the rash of designer T shirts on every high street.

At the end of the day it's down to the individual to determine what's best for him. If you are comfortable that buying the premium priced item will generally get you something very good indeed, and that this will stop you casting around for a Holy Grail, then great. If OTOH you enjoy developing ideas and experimenting, and have or can borrow the necessary skills, then it's a way of building something spectacular that can indeed match or outperform the connercial product.

@Still, thanks.:) It's been a bloody tough year and building that plinth was a very important bit of my rehab. I'm delighted with the way it's turned out, I surprised myself. Apart from anything else it gave me something to do, a couple of hours here and there as I felt up to it. That and spending vast amounts of time on PFM has probably kept me sane.:p

Steve

To be fair, you do have a point, I have spent hours buggering about restoring a 1930s style racing bike when it would have been easier to have popped out to a shop and just bought one.

I only have the thing loose assembled so I cannot say whether it is any good or not but it certainly looks good and a friend of mine who is well known for taking the piss want me to do one for him.

So yes doing your own is ok if you look at it from a total package point of view.

Regards

Mick

advertisement

Back