advertisement

£60,000, cartridge, anyone,

Virtually all styli are grown diamonds ( CVD ) lower defect/flaws compared to natural diamonds
Russia biggest supplier $2.5billion per annum CVD diamonds have other benefits

It’s amazing the lengths people will go to compensate for a technically compromised format.
It’s the technical compromise I actually like about vinyl. The pops, clicks, rumbles just make everything more real sounding. I like streaming too but it just sounds too unnatural to me, I like an instrument to sound like an instrument. We all like what we like, weird or not.

It’s the technical compromise I actually like about vinyl. The pops, clicks, rumbles just make everything more real sounding. I like streaming too but it just sounds too unnatural to me, I like an instrument to sound like an instrument. We all like what we like, weird or not.
Sounds like you need a decent streamer /DAC combo............

I know what you mean and you are right. It is possible to get a click, pop and rumble free sound from a turntable. That is exactly what I get in my listening studio. It's almost impossible to tell what source is playing, such is the low noise.

I have less & less tolerance of its imperfections. My digital sources sound very real to me.

I have less & less tolerance of its imperfections. My digital sources sound very real to me.
Whilst digital can sound excellent its all down to how well the original recording was mastered. In my experience the mastering of older recordings on vinyl exceeds most of those digitally recorded. I shiver when I see the phrase 'digitally re-mastered' as its invariably worse than the original.

The sound from a top record playing system is unbelievably good and realistic. Its uncanny when a mono recording comes across as holographic! Its very expensive though compared to computer audio.

DV

Whilst digital can sound excellent its all down to how well the original recording was mastered. In my experience the mastering of older recordings on vinyl exceeds most of those digitally recorded. I shiver when I see the phrase 'digitally re-mastered' as its invariably worse than the original.

The sound from a top record playing system is unbelievably good and realistic. Its uncanny when a mono recording comes across as holographic! Its very expensive though compared to computer audio.

DV
I don’t disagree. Vinyl can sound amazing, it’s just inconsistent. I have a number of 50s analogue recordings on CD & they can & do sound great. Obviously a perfect original press will probably better then but try finding one.

I have a TT & quite a lot of records, I just find I’m listening to digital 95% of the time. It use to be the other way round.

Just read the spec, I’ll wait for the version that has +31% channel separation, gives me time to save the extra 25%

I don’t disagree. Vinyl can sound amazing, it’s just inconsistent. I have a number of 50s analogue recordings on CD & they can & do sound great. Obviously a perfect original press will probably better then but try finding one.

I have a TT & quite a lot of records, I just find I’m listening to digital 95% of the time. It use to be the other way round.
Provided that the record is not visibly damaged even a well worn record can sound excellent. My own player is click and pop free with no hiss between tracks and the run in/out tracks. Its an amazing player.

I'm listening to more CA as my poor eyesight and arthritic hands makes handling my unipivot tone arm a challenge.

DV

It's just a show off - look what we can do and look how much it is. Surely there won't be more than a handful sold throughout the world but it's the bragging rights which are important.

What troubles me though is that the average person wanting to buy a decent Hi-Fi system and reading Hi-Fi News and some other mags, will be put off by all this obscenely priced gear they rave over every month. The man in the street won't find anything of interest or use in these mags. Rarely do they review something good and affordable, it's all telephone numbers. Might be fun for the reviewers but what use is it to the newcomer or an enthusiast on a budget ?

There is a world of great and affordable gear out there, let's see more of that reviewed and talked about please.

Since embarking on CD in 2001, I've yet to emulate what my vinyl rig does; this at any juncture through many changes. I do still enjoy CDs and, depending on the disc, they satisfy me, but vinyl is still my go-to for natural dynamics, immersion, excitement and sound-staging etc. Mind you, relative costs are not equal at all and CD is just so convenient once loaded.

The only clicks and pops I get is when there is damage to the record; otherwise silent background through my valve-based amplification. This comparison replicated on cans

Have never tried streaming but doubt I ever will. It's like the pursuit of new music; I still haven't become fed up with the old !;)

It's just a show off - look what we can do and look how much it is. Surely there won't be more than a handful sold throughout the world but it's the bragging rights which are important.

What troubles me though is that the average person wanting to buy a decent Hi-Fi system and reading Hi-Fi News and some other mags, will be put off by all this obscenely priced gear they rave over every month. The man in the street won't find anything of interest or use in these mags. Rarely do they review something good and affordable, it's all telephone numbers. Might be fun for the reviewers but what use is it to the newcomer or an enthusiast on a budget ?

There is a world of great and affordable gear out there, let's see more of that reviewed and talked about please.
What HiFi does that but people are sniffy about it.

I have some quiet records & some noisy ones, even cleaning doesn’t render them silent. You can’t always judge by appearance either.

I have some quiet records & some noisy ones, even cleaning doesn’t render them silent. You can’t always judge by appearance either.

That's very true, perhaps a pressing issue.

I suppose WHF and Hifi Choice (if they're still around) cover some of the more affordable gear. I get the feeling that some of the other Mags are not really for enthusiasts.
I'd guess most 'newcomers' will look to what ever social media platform they currently use and read online reviews and watch review videos and enthusiasts on a budget I'm sure will be aware of the established hifi press.

What HiFi does that but people are sniffy about it.

Unfortunately, for the majority, people are just very happy to hear music from Alexa, or from a bluetooth loudspeaker and their phone, or a sound bar. They don't want or need anything else. More to the point the young can't have room for anything else. We are a minuscule community who still own or play music on a traditional Hi-Fi system, so trying to appeal to the masses is pointless.

advertisement

Back