advertisement

£400 television for elderly lady

Yeah it is a problem. And do not think that a cheaper tele with a sound bar would help - they the very devil to confuse older folk with and yet there is yet another remote control to learn/lose. A tele set up with an (active) external speaker(s) added on would be much easier than an HDMI sound bar.
If you can connect the soundbar from the headphone out, you can use the tv's own remote to control volume...

If you can connect the soundbar from the headphone out, you can use the tv's own remote to control volume...
If you get a soundbar with an ARC HDMI, then the sound can be controlled by the TV remote, and switches on and off with the TV.

Yeah it is a problem. And do not think that a cheaper tele with a sound bar would help - they the very devil to confuse older folk with and yet there is yet another remote control to learn/lose. A tele set up with an (active) external speaker(s) added on would be much easier than an HDMI sound bar.
Exactly what we got my in laws - a couoke of cheap PC speakers plugged in to the headphone socket.

Can you get her along to a Richer Sounds to see for herself ?
No...she's not especially mobile and has asked me to just get on with it.

Thank you for all the kind replies. Not been in the country much so have let it slide. I think I'll pop down to Richer myself bearing in mind especially points about remote friendliness and sound.

Thanks all.

Nic.

Could be worth looking at their deals on a cheap speaker / amp combination; I think we got a Cambridge Audio / Mission set which made the TV sound infinitely better.

I was cynical at first but it was c£150 very well spent for 90 year old ears!

Could be worth leaving it on shop settings too for brightness.

Could be worth leaving it on shop settings too for brightness.
True dat. After my MIL moved last year, I set up her telly (needed retuning) and at the same time I took the opportunity to tone down the eye-searing colour and brightness settings to something a bit less technicolour. She was mightily unimpressed and demanded I put it back forthwith.

If the lady in question is used to a particular television, then it may be best to get another of the same brand that can use the same remote control?

Anything like my MIL, trying to teach her a new remote is a pain and she instantly forgets and next time I am there we do it all again.

Recent model smart TVs might be too much for her menu-wise.

My parents (in their 70s) just went out and bought one without telling me first and setting aside that they went into Curry's to buy it rather than let me get a better, cheaper one online they called me round to help set it up as the menus confused them.

I doubt she'd notice if the picture quality wasn't right up there with the latest models (has it changed much generally? Not that I can see) but may appreciate the more simple nature of an older box.

advertisement

Back