advertisement

£1k-2k DACs with remote control?

Lokidtc99

What does this button do...?
Hi all,

I'm looking for a mid-to-high end DAC for my hifi which has a remote control for switching inputs. I don't need a volume control, but won't count a DAC down for having one.

I'm considering Naim DAC, NAD M51, others?

I'd love to audition a TeddyDac - people seem to be raving about it - but aware that it doesn't meet my main criterion!

The rest of the system is SBT with TT3 and custom linear P/S --> DAC --> Naim Nac202 with DIY regulated Hicap clone with Mr Tibbs' earthing mod --> Nap200 --> B&W 705. Mains via Isol-8 Mini Sub

I'm currently using a Stello DA-220 Mk II as the DAC. Would love to hear people's suggestions...

I've just bought a Wyred 4 Sound dac-2. I can't really provide much more validation above the fact that I parted with my hard earned £ for a brand new one. Obviously I think it sounds very good.

Mark at Item Audio will provide one for home demo which is the best way to find out if it is right for you. That's what I did.

Regards

73c

This is great - keep the suggestions coming!!

Mr Perceptive - that's exactly what I'm looking for - I want to try out different sound signatures/styles and see what I like best in my system...

Loki

The M51 is an interesting product as it can extract lossless two channel PCM from BluRay so if Music Videos are your thing then it could be a very good tool.

I would suggest that you also listen to the Audiolab M-DAC, as virtually everyone stocks it, so can be a very good Benchmark (pun intended) when demoing DACs

Oh and you could add the Leema Elements DAC to your shopping list

Far too many people buy on reputation and review. Many are disappointed - or would be, if they had the chance to compare. DACs are inevitably voiced to some extent - particularly the output stage. How that fits with the balance of your current system is tough to predict.

We've done so many DAC comparisons and group tests now, I find it hard to make a better recommendation than: try a few.

As other posters have said, the W4S, Audiolab, Benchmark, Antelope, Calyx and NAD DACs all sound quite different and gel in some rooms, with some listeners, in unpredictable ways. But a weekend's listening totally immunises you against hearsay and the welter of conflicting opinions available online.

Got a Leema Elemenmts DAC here on trial at the moment, very impressed so far, volume control is in the analogue domain, so no dropping resolution at low volume. Also has one analogue input (not tried that yet). Build quality looks very good, though remote is a bit on the cheap and cheerful side.

Tried it so far with SB3, Oppo BDP-93 and Freeview output. Got an SBT on my desk, so hopefully will try that later.

Having had the same requirement, and listened to the Emotiva, M-DAC, Wryed4Sound, NADM51 and Buerston HD-160, the only ones that I would consider keeping are the Wryed4Sound and the Leema. It's a difficult decision!

advertisement

Back