advertisement

£150 compact digital cameras

thedanfan

pfm Member
Is there a "best" one or are they much of a muchness. It's for a teenage daughter who wants to take a few more pictures. I can be of no help to her with this one but I know many of you like photography.

I was thinking Cannon IXUS 70 for no other reasons than I've heard of them and I like the shape.

If what she does is mostly take indoors and night pics of her friends then try to find a Fuji F20 (or rarer better Fuji F30/F31) which has good low light capability. Latest Fujis are less special though.

The thing to look at is speed - we've had a couple of compact ones and they are slow to take a picture.

What prowla said... I think the differences between cameras are significant. I've certainly had good and bad ones over the past few years. Unfortunately my memory is not good enough to reel off the model numbers but my current Nikon pocket camera has barrel distortion which is most annoying if your photo has any straight lines in it (sea scapes, buildings etc.). My old Fuji took good photos but there was a delay between pressing the button and hearing the click and it actually taking the photo, so you had to hold the camera steady for an extra second after the click. My even older Kodak was clunky and not exactly ergonomic, but otherwise it was excellent.

My experience of Canons has always been very positive. You can get an Ixus from 7dayshop.com for silly money. That's certainly what I would go for if I was buying a new pocket camera now. Just don't make the mistake I did and walk into Jessops and ask "What's the best I can get for x amount of pounds" because I get the distinct impression they sold me something they'd obviously overstocked on and I ended up with the Nikon which I now only consider good enough to take to places I run the risk of losing it, and leave the DSLR at home.

Get the Ixus 70 - I'm very pleased with mine. Bought from Amazon for about £125 in the summer, it's probably less now. Very easy to use - I've never looked at the instructions (!), small, looks great, good size screen, and takes excellent snaps for the money.

Ricoh Caplio R5 and now R6 seem excellent vfm and good performers, as long as you put a fast card in them.

Ive got a Fuji f30, the battery lasts forever, it takes great photos and the low light feature is well worth having - even if your not really into photography.

I have the FX33 and its very good, but has little or no user over rides (unless you trick the system with the progams). Its almost entirely programmed but great nonetheless. And its bang on £150 fro DigitalRev (Ebay)

advertisement

Back