advertisement

£1,200 system for sister, Rega System One or...?

Another thing that puts me off chip-amps is that they can take out your speakers when they fail. Might not be all that likely but conventional amps tend not to have failure modes that destroy the rest of your system.
Just read a ton of Amazon feedback reviews going back years, and not single complaint of blowing speakers with any Fosi amp.

I've got one of those Micromega Leader 2 players and despite being old it does sound very decent. You've heard it in fact Mr. Pig, as I we had it plugged into your system when I visited you years back.
That's right. It was because of that I bought one to replace my CD3.5. I think I went through three of them, at first on their own then used as transports, they make very good transports. Of course the Saturn-R is better but it costs a lot more too. For the money these old Micromegas are great.

That's right. It was because of that I bought one to replace my CD3.5. I think I went through three of them, at first on their own then used as transports, they make very good transports. Of course the Saturn-R is better but it costs a lot more too. For the money these old Micromegas are great.
My one is still going (or at least it was last time I tried it) although the transport is playing up a bit. Oddly enough it was eventually replaced in my system by a CD3.5 - although that's since been replaced by an Audiolab transport into a Simaudio Moon DAC. I must dig out the Leader 2 and give it a spin again - if it still works I bet it sounds just as good as a Transport as the Audiolab does.

I've dug out the old Micromega Leader 2 and it's still working sort of. The tray still needs a little lift from below when loading and the digital out doesn't appear to be working. Still sounds good on the analogue outputs though.

On the original question - my daughter's new house has a large living room and I put together a system for her mainly from stuff I had lying around:
  • Rega P1 turntable (bought new)
  • Echo Dot as a streaming source
  • Audiolab 8000A amp
  • Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 speakers
The Echo Dot will likely get replaced with a WiiM streamer at some point, but it sounds pretty good and is fine with filling the room. If the wanted to upgrade I'd be suggesting the speakers first but they seem pretty happy with it. They don't enough CD's to make it worth putting a CD player in, as they're happy enough streaming from Spotify.

Is she actually into ‘Real HiFi’ or would she be happy with something really simple to operate that just plays music reasonably well like this Denon system, with an added record deck.

I don't know what a second-hand pair of Audio note J or K would set you back, but they often get good feedback at shows, and the ones I've heard have always impressed me (I didn't like the 'E' though)

Never took to the K or the J, myself. Liked the E though. 😂

Which illustrates how tricky it is recommending gear for someone else, when we don't really know what style of sound they like.

Is she actually into ‘Real HiFi’ or would she be happy with something really simple to operate that just plays music reasonably well like this Denon system, with an added record deck.
I think that if I suggested to my sister that she didn't need real hifi, I would be minus my testicles within a minute.
I see where you are coming from though. We have had a brief chat and I gave initially offered her my old Rega Saturn as a starting point. Q Acoustics are a good suggestion by the way.
Cheers

Has anyone here tried the cheap amps cheapaudioman recommends? I'm sure I've seen others agree with him (possibly on hifiwigwam) - https://www.youtube.com/@cheapaudioman/videos - Those little Fossi? amps seem incredibly good value for money.
I have a Fosi Audio V3 and an Amptastic Mini. They're not the same. The Fosi is quite tame and unlikely to scare you. It sounds reminiscent of the old budget Arcams.
It is my emergency amp in my traveling hi-fi set-up.

Good point, it is about 25ft x 18ft and heavily furnished. I think that it will be positioned against the wall on the longer wall firing across the room, with the seating mid room facing the hifi.
That's a pretty large room, but probably the best way to use it. If the listener is that close then the speakers don't need to be enormous, but the very budget stuff is out if you want any scale out of it.

I have... err... a few speakers knocking about in South Wales if you want to try some different sizes etc. Some of them need homes too really, at little cost.

What about a bake off with a load of kit that people on here near to you have and think might be suitable and then she gets to listen and make her own choice.

Remember women's hearing is different/better than men's, well it is in this house so I'm told 😂

https://www.richersounds.com/marantz-pm6007-marantz-cd6007-with-q-acoustics-q3020i-black.html .. £799
https://www.richersounds.com/project-t1-phono-sb-white.html .. £359

Then what's left over will get you a pair of stands and cables. The turntable has a built-in phonostage, so that's taken care of. I would look for a pair of super dreadnought stands second hand, you can pick them up for £100, and are excellent.

Big old room to fill with Q Acoustics 3020i speakers, even if near field listening.

I've dug out the old Micromega Leader 2 and it's still working sort of. The tray still needs a little lift from below when loading and the digital out doesn't appear to be working. Still sounds good on the analogue outputs though.
I had a nagging memory that the Micromega didn't work with the Simaudio Moon DAC once before so given I'm checking out an old Dacmagic 2 at the moment I plugged it into that instead to find it's working fine. No idea why.

Was asked opinion for very similar thing a year ago by a friend for similar money. Went for

Wharfedale Denton 80
Rotel A11 Tribute amp and CDP (Not the current MK2)
Project Debut Carbon DC (would have preferred the Rega P1 but the Debut was going cheap then)

advertisement

Back