advertisement

£1,200 system for sister, Rega System One or...?

glenda

pfm Member
Hello,
My 62 year old sister is a music fan coming up to retirement and is going to treat herself.
She is after a turntable, cd player, amp and speakers. I suggested Rega and a second hand Rega cd player.
She is more inclined to go to Richer Sounds, which is a decent option. She is looking for a fuss free option.
Used kit is a strong possibility and have been looking on the South Wales market, with some possibles cropping up.
Anything else we should be considering?
Budget limit would be £1,500 max
Thanks
Tony

Has she got the stack of records and CD's to play on it already?

If not it's probably a completely wrong direction to go in these days.

PC/Mac with Tidal subscription into the Topping DAC of your choice (DX3 pro plus would be a good choice) and a Genelec active system made out of a pair of 8010's and a 7040 sub. A bit more buys you 8020's instead.

Be warned it will embarrass the Rega system horribly (and possibly also the one you have at home)!

Fair point, she is probably a bit old school and has an existing vinyl and cd collection, spanning 40 odd years.
She previously had my old Thorens but her son sold it (let's not go there).
Her musical tastes are mainstream - Elbow, Dexys, Nutini, etc.

Incoming controversial opinion about the Rega System One you mention in your opening post.

I think the P1 and the Io are excellent items and really good vfm. I think the the new Kyte speakers are fit only for landfill.

Pro-ject Colourful , 6 Colour options
Carbon Debut Evo / MaiA S3 / Speaker Box 5 S2 & CD Player add a CD Box E

Pro-Ject-Tristands-Lifestyle-Image.jpg

I think the P1 and the Io are excellent items and really good vfm. I think the the new Kyte speakers are fit only for landfill.
I agree, and I've not even heard them.

I think Rega are the best Hi-Fi company in the UK, love many of their products, but no one company is a master of all trades. Rega speakers have never exactly set the world on fire, you never find them outside of an all-Rega fanboy system. While their goal of low resonance works fine in some ways I think there are limits and I don't think a tiny speaker in a plastic box is a good idea.

For the budget I'd be looking at all second hand. You could do worse than a P1 but if you can squeeze in a P2, better. The IO is a great amplifier, the Brio-R is excellent too with a fuller sound but an older Rotel integrated will do the job and cost a lot less. Speakers are so personal but loads of older ones around and a bigger box gives you a bigger sound.

Rega speakers have never exactly set the world on fire, you never find them outside of an all-Rega fanboy system.
I've got Rega speakers in a couple of systems and in both cases they're the only Rega component in that system.

They're both older ones bought 2nd hand though. R1's in one system (with a WiiM amp) and the original Kytes in another (with an Onix DNA45 and a WiiM Pro).

. I think the the new Kyte speakers are fit only for landfill.
Strongly disagree
Under the right conditions / room, they are great small loudspeakers in their price category.
I think Rega did an excellent non-wooden speaker job there, even their little 30w IO amp fill a medium room nicely.

Clearly looks can be discussed, they should have offered grill options, to make them further atractive.

Tell her - get a Rotel CD11 Tribute, the best £ for£ CD player I've ever heard. She may get one cheap, second hand , unlikely , as no-one seems to let them co...I certainly won't. They're cheap in Richer Sounds - recommended highly... :cool:

I've got Rega speakers in a couple of systems and in both cases they're the only Rega component in that system.

They're both older ones bought 2nd hand though. R1's in one system (with a WiiM amp) and the original Kytes in another (with an Onix DNA45 and a WiiM Pro).
Me too. I have owned Rega speakers since the late 90s and at their price point, there are not many if any speakers better for the money. All of my Rega speakers have been powered by Naim kit initially in my main system and later in the second system.

Only a couple. There's a TD160 super in the attic that I was going to build a decade ago and... didn't. I need to get the Luxman L309X in the living room looked at too. It works okay but has see definite issues.

Good point, it is about 25ft x 18ft and heavily furnished. I think that it will be positioned against the wall on the longer wall firing across the room, with the seating mid room facing the hifi.

That's a large room, probably going to need floorstanders which will push the price of the speakers and amp to drive them up. I think the Rega 1 system would be lost in that room.

This is a bit above budget and doesn't have a CD player, but you could maybe add that later. I would go with the dali 5s and the Brio which has a great phono stage.

advertisement

Back