advertisement

Headway Brain Injury Charity

Just read the story and result of the crash, totally horrific!

I do remember him, but not the accident, make me realise how lucky I was.

@Ian G Hi Ian - I have let the manager know. The manager asked to inform her which shop you take the records to - this is because records have gone missing before!
Then the manager will chase them up and make sure they end up at this branch.

It doesn't look like there are any local shops to me so I'll have to courier them to you, I just need to locate all of them and box them up.

I had my appointment with Headway this morning in Worcester.

Lovely people.

I cannot claim any benefits because I've made (in their words) an amazing recovery so far, so am able bodied and not requiring care.

Because the NHS have further delayed my MRI scan (should have been 8 weeks ago), they have written a referral for me to a medical professional.

They've also given me social classes to attend.

Furthermore, they can ease me back into work via one of their charity shops.

They also said I still have some way to go. It's early days and I shouldn't rush. Sadly, I'm a little impatient.

Lots to ponder and take on board.

Thanks again for this thread.

Good week with record sales in the charity shop.
Picked up another 10 album sleeves to refill today.

Somebody picked up a bargain as I had put Elvis Costello ‘Hey Clockface’ double L.P. in for £8 brand new (I had bought it new, played it twice, then decided I didn’t like it)

Sold an Elvis Presley album, ‘Command Performance’ bootleg. It sounded dire, but is rare. I did state on the price/description sticker that it sounded crap. Elvis fans aren’t phased by such trivial matters. The sound was akin to a live concert being recorded on a cassette that was in a coat…

Also sold two albums that were knackered, but the sleeves were interesting and fab condition - one of which was Bay City Rollers! - I had pushed the sleeves on the price sticker information, glad to see that working - far better than just binning them.

No 7” Single sales this time.

Popped in to the charity shop as it was near the supermarket I was visiting.
I didn’t expect any sales sleeves to pick up as I had called in on Saturday.

We had sold 3 albums - Blondie, and 2 rare Elvis albums and a couple of 7” Singles.
5 records, £21 total.

nice.

Picked up some empty sleeves to refill with records.

Here is an example of the descriptions and prices that I put on the price labels.
I always remember Selectadisc in Nottingham having choice comments on the price labels… it keeps me amused.

IMG-1517.jpg

There is some Jazz in the shop. :cool:

e.g. Earl Klugh, Marty Paich, Lena Horne, Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan, Monk, Ahmad Jamal

Nothing over £9. Mostly £4 to 6.
All cleaned + play tested.
More arriving…

Donate here, or come see what I am selling

Headway Charity Shop
47 Station Street
Kirkby-in-Ashfield
Nottinghamshire
NG17 7AN

more information about Headway charity.

https://www.headway.org.uk/

Try facebook for details of the shop.
search for
“Headway UK Kirkby shop“

You are doing a great job there @Big Tabs.

When my step-son had a head injury around ten years ago, Headway were very supportive and a great help to him. Ever since then he has helped with various fundraising events.

Your record sales stats are interesting - I'm quite surprised at the number 7 inch singles you say you're selling. Maybe it's because I don't collect singles, but I don't recall seeing many for sale in record shops round my way; maybe I just go to the wrong shops.

As an aside, I had a browse in my local HMV yesterday which has recently re-opened after being flooded out last winter, and was shocked at the prices of new LPs. I'd rather support charities and buy originals than pay hugely inflated prices for new stuff. Your pricing looks to be very fair.

@MikeMA

Thanks. I try very hard to get the pricing right. There are a few dealers who cruise the shop and I want to make the price attractive enough so that money could be made from selling them on. That has to be balanced with ‘not giving them away.’

The 7” Single sales has always been consistent in the Headway shop. Despite 45’s being unattractive on pfm, there is a wide market. There are quite a lot of under 30’s buying them as well, not merely middle-aged men. Also a lot of women of various ages buy them.
I think the fact that all the records are cleaned and tested makes a massive difference.
There is nothing for sale that is scratched.

I would be at a loss if I didn’t have the support of Headway brain injury charity. It gives me some focus.

I've have applied to be a shop volunteer through my local (Worcester) group.

Still waiting to hear if they need me.

It would give me some goals/motivation to get out of the house, following my brain injury this year.

I would think they would welcome you with open arms. There are many roles as well, not just ‘counter’ staff. (I couldn’t work in the shop, physically or mentally)

@MikeMA

Thanks. I try very hard to get the pricing right. There are a few dealers who cruise the shop and I want to make the price attractive enough so that money could be made from selling them on. That has to be balanced with ‘not giving them away.’

lot to be said for your pricing strategy
The 7” Single sales has always been consistent in the Headway shop. Despite 45’s being unattractive on pfm, there is a wide market. There are quite a lot of under 30’s buying them as well, not merely middle-aged men. Also a lot of women of various ages buy them.
I think the fact that all the records are cleaned and tested makes a massive difference.
There is nothing for sale that is scratched.

I would be at a loss if I didn’t have the support of Headway brain injury charity. It gives me some focus.
I can imagine 45s being popular with younger buyers, they're what I bought when I was young! I gave up on them over the years as my tastes in music drifted more towards Jazz and Classical, though I've noticed increasing numbers of 12 inch new releases cut at 45 rpm.

I think there's a lot to be said for your pricing strategy to attract dealers. There's a saying in the antiques trade - where dealers are forever trading with each other - along the lines of "always leave a margin for the next man".

I've have applied to be a shop volunteer through my local (Worcester) group.

Still waiting to hear if they need me.

It would give me some goals/motivation to get out of the house, following my brain injury this year.
Great stuff. As others have said there are other functions, for example I volunteer as a mechanic for a bike charity. It's good fun.

Dropped of some more Jazz at the shop today.

There was a woman, about mid-forties looking through the records.
I always ask, ‘what kind of music are you looking for?’

The lady gave the perfect answer.

“Ooh Whatever takes my fancy.”

She already had a couple of albums under her arm.
Excellent!

advertisement

Back