advertisement

Audio Forums

I was extremely surprised to read Mr Steve Hoffman's posts about cables having no effect on sound. It's pretty funny considering he runs an audiophile forum. He's also managed to gather a group of trolls around him who think the same way.

I was extremely surprised to read Mr Steve Hoffman's posts about cables having no effect on sound. It's pretty funny considering he runs an audiophile forum.
He’s an audio engineer too. Must be incompetent.

You know there are plenty of members here as well that believe that too, right? You want to change your sound, how about starting with speakers, room treatment, and DSP before plonking big bucks on cables?

Last edited:
The Steve Hoffman forum is great, though I seldom read/post outside the music room. I’m there for the real record and CD mastering and collector detail. I’m surprised if Steve has an anti-cable stance as his main system was real high-end esoterica the last time I looked and I’m sure included a lot of expensive cable. IIRC he had some involvement with Audio Note at some point, though he has certainly got a pair of Monitor Golds somewhere too (as everyone should). I’ll have a look at a cable thread there sometime.

PS FWIW I came to the conclusion that a) yes, cables do make a difference, and b) I really don’t like most of the odd crazy expensive stuff. My choice is for really good quality studio grade copper and plenty of it. Silver, fancy weaves etc all seem to make things sound worse to my ears.

IMHO it's even more friendly & helpful than here
Unfortunately, I have a different experience.
One of my cable search topics turned into a real show. I don't want to go into the details of that filthy thread, but there were some extremely aggressive statements and recommendations from Steve about using toilet paper for a tweeter instead of a warm sounding cable. The thread was deleted.
My experience I wasn't expecting to get there.

I was extremely surprised to read Mr Steve Hoffman's posts about cables having no effect on sound. It's pretty funny considering he runs an audiophile forum. He's also managed to gather a group of trolls around him who think the same way.

A studio engineer who thinks cables make no difference, I can accept that.

Everyone who has reached a different conclusion to you is consequently a troll - err get over yourself.

A studio engineer who thinks cables make no difference
I have doubts in my mind about the quality of a studio engineer who can't hear how different cables change the sound. This is a very subtle point and one has to have good hearing. That's the criterion. IMHO

I have doubts in my mind about the quality of a studio engineer who can't hear how different cables change the sound. This is a very subtle point and one has to have good hearing. That's the criterion. IMHO

Ha ha, I’m sure Steve Hoffman is gutted - “Oh no some bloke on the internet thinks he’s got better hearing than me..”.

Based on the evidence of the records he has mastered I’d say at some point he has had very good hearing, and who’s to say it’s deteriorated? Oh yeah, that’ll be you :rolleyes:

FWIW I’ve just had a look at Steve Hoffman’s system details (fully listed in his profile as is the way there) and he has Audio Note UK Sogon LX96 bi-wire cable listed, which as far as I can tell from a quick google is a mere £2900 a metre (HiFiCollective)!

Goto their website. There are instructions on there for creating an account.
If you already have an account, then surely you don't need someone to tell you how to create another one?
Hi.I have tried registering again several times with no sucess, wondering if I was doing something wrong.

I'm not a fan of aggressive forums so I stay here, AOS and the HUG.

I was on HUG when I owned Harbeths and enjoyed it.
Later, after contributing to a discussion on the modern LS3/5As, I was challenged in a PM by Alan Shaw.
The content of the message claimed my input wasn’t accurate.
As it came from the manufacturer of the modern LS3/5As, I knew it was.
Alan Shaw refused to accept it.
I subsequently left HUG, never to return.

I was audio (any) forum naive when I found an answer for something on pfm many years ago.
It is still generally speaking, a positive experience. The blatant sexism is irritating, but I use the Ignore option to reduce the bile and bullies.

A studio engineer who thinks cables make no difference, I can accept that.

Everyone who has reached a different conclusion to you is consequently a troll - err get over yourself.

This will turn into ( yet another ) cable thread if we’re not careful.

Re. studio engineers, a good friend was one for many years.
In many of the studios he worked in the cables were Sommer with Neutrik fittings.
Neither were the cables or fittings outrageously priced.

John said the Neutrik fittings were high quality and realistically priced.
The Sommer cable was hard wearing and reeled up easily.

pfm is the only audio forum I'm a member of. Indeed, it's pretty much the only forum of any kind that I post on now.

I discovered pfm shortly after its inception when I was looking for information about the A&R A60, one of which I'd recently purchased (& is still in use). Although I'm an Antipodean, my hi-fi interests are predominantly British. I joined the forum a few years later & have enjoyed it ever since. I love the community feeling & there's a real depth of knowledge that I appreciate. These things can be found elsewhere of course, but I just prefer the pfm ways. :)

I was extremely surprised to read Mr Steve Hoffman's posts about cables having no effect on sound.

Could you point us at the posts where he said that please?

I ask because that's not at all what he said in many of his posts that I've read.

Could you point us at the posts where he said that please?
As I wrote earlier, this thread has been deleted.
Perhaps there are those who remember my thread on SHForum about finding a cable with a warm sound and an accentuated lower midrange.
My account there was also blocked because I expressed my frustration with Steve because of his comments in that thread.

advertisement

Back