advertisement

Three albums to make your system sing.

Live at the Rat Club is particularly audiophile (recorded by Genesis P-Orridge on a portable tape deck from the audience, he gives a pretty funny running commentary on the gig too).

-- Ian

3 from me...

The Slits - Live At The Gibus Club

The Fall - Dragnet

Swell Maps - A Trip To Marineville.

Cheers

Rich

Another vote for Muddy Waters' "Folk singer". That and "These are the vistas" by The Bad Plus are amongst the best sounding CDs I have ever heard. Luckily the music is also great.

On vinyl, Ben Harper's "Fight for your mind" currently has my jaw scraping the floor.

Another vote for Muddy Waters' "Folk singer". That and "These are the vistas" by The Bad Plus are amongst the best sounding CDs I have ever heard. Luckily the music is also great.

On vinyl, Ben Harper's "Fight for your mind" currently has my jaw scraping the floor.

I listened to Folk Singer on 200g vinyl last night - gorgeous!

Cheers

Rich

Live at the Rat Club is particularly audiophile (recorded by Genesis P-Orridge on a portable tape deck from the audience, he gives a pretty funny running commentary on the gig too).

The Velvet Underground's 'Live at Max's Kansas City' has some great conversations amongst audience members: 'Give her the other Tuinol, dummy!'

Dynamic range? Listen to Sister Drum by Dadawa and find out how good (or poor) your system really is.

Another great test of a system is Dafos by Hart/Airto/Purim.

2. Mighty Sam McClain – Give it up to love. AQ-CD1015

American blues gospel, nothing like the type pf music I would normally associate myself with but the sheer power and clarity of the tracks makes it one of the first albums I pull out if I want to show off my system to my friends.
Pick of the best has to be ‘I feel good’. An absolute monster track that just begs to be cranked right up.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a copy of this for less than 40 UK pounds? That's what Amazon wants (or some FLACs maybe?)

Off the top of my head..

1. Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad.
2. Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily
3. Dead Can Dance - Into The Labyrinth

Does anyone know where I can pick up a copy of this for less than 40 UK pounds? That's what Amazon wants (or some FLACs maybe?)
Cannot find it in this country my self now, PM my your address and i will send you a burned copy so you can decide if you want to pursue it at a reasonable price.

Before and After? Tim Finn!?? I've got 3 of Tim's albums, they're average, nothing special. His brother has the talent.

A talent for shallow pop, but he's not much of a singer.

I can happily do without either of the Finn bro's.

But here's three I couldn't do without:

Hart Rouge, Une Histoire de Famille

Billy Bang, VIETNAM the aftermath

Catie Curtis, A Crash Course in Roses

A big thanks for the recommendations.

I have just bought two brilliant albums::D

Kris Dollimore 02/01/1978 and Po pop by R L Jones.

So here's a few for you:

Cassandra Wilson "Blue light till dawn"
David Johansen and the Harry Smiths "Shaker"
Rosanna and Zelia "Passagem"

cheers

Aidan

let me know hpw you get on with the Kris Dollimore CD - I think its release of the year so far, and could be a classic dem disc

I wont name 3 albums, and I wouldn't say that the recording quality on Beth Nielsen Chapman's Deeper Still album is exceptional, though it is very good, BUT there is a bonus track on there which is a "live" track called Emily. I have to say that I didnt fully grasp the full meaning of the term "timbre of the piano" refered to in equipment reviews until I heard this track. If your kit is up to the job and in the right room this track should do it for you.

advertisement

Back