advertisement

Three albums to make your system sing.

INF-AMOS

Can any of my fellow Pink Fisher’s help me because I would like to expand my CD collection whilst also broadening my musical horizons.

You see, we all have some gems in our CD collections that we believe bring the best our of our systems, they may not necessarily be the genre of music you would chose to listen to in the car but because of their superb recording/ musical quality you wouldn’t be without them.

I would really appreciate some recommends, something that you don’t hear day to day on the radio… so feel to share your own treasures whist giving a brief review as to why you rate them.

1. Jude Cole – I don’t know why I act this way. 314-524 148-2

American singer song writer, opening track (speed of life) opens with a lively intro and no weak tracks throughout, the pick being a close call between the cleverly written ‘Joe’ and ‘Take the reigns’.
I do have another Jude Cole album named 'A view from 3rd street but it is sadly very Kak unlike the above.

2. Mighty Sam McClain – Give it up to love. AQ-CD1015

American blues gospel, nothing like the type pf music I would normally associate myself with but the sheer power and clarity of the tracks makes it one of the first albums I pull out if I want to show off my system to my friends.
Pick of the best has to be ‘I feel good’. An absolute monster track that just begs to be cranked right up.

3. Jeff Buckley – Grace. 475928 5

Yes I know, some of you… well a lot of you will be saying “That’s a well known album”. I know, but your average man on the street wouldn’t be able to name one Jeff Buckley song, so to me it qualifies for a mention.

In my humble opinion it is simply one of the best albums ever made; Tim Buckleys sadly deceased son followed his father to an early grave whilst only producing the one immortal masterpiece. To not have this work of art in your collection is nothing short of criminal.

Jeff influences ranged from the likes of Led Zep and The Smiths… Fantastic production without a single weak track with the pick for me being the ‘Lover, you should’ve come over’…. Shear mind blowing quality that will make even the most modest of systems sing.

Following on from Mighty Sam [great album] go for Bruce Katz, early stuff is also Bluesquest label so good quality sound.

Thanks for the Bruce Katz tip Eric, i will definately be checking him out.

I have ordered several CD,s after reading the 'What are you listening to now' thread, it's a good thread but dosent highlight members real gems, only what they are currently listening to.

I have stuck my neck out in my opening post and was hoping that more fellow members might give some tasty tips on which albums are their personal reccomends as i will listen to pretty much anything (Classical, Blues, Jazz, Rock) if it is well recorded.

My best sounding CD's would be

Keb Mo - Keb Mo
Keb Mo - Just like you

The next ones are obvious but I find them really good quality
Dire Straits - Dire Straits (Superbitmapping)
Dire Straits - Communique

The above 4 all need the vol control up higher than any of the current crop of CD's - indicating they are not over mastered.

Eva Cassidy - Imagine
Nora Jones - all of them
(Played a lot of course)

I really liked Mighty Sam McClain - will add that one to my collection.

Loudness war issues and avoidance thereof:

CD has a big dynamic range - fact. Decent uncompressed recordings on CD played through a decent CD player should sound stunning and the best ones do.

Keb 'Mo has already been listed. To that I can add anything by the Eagles (the 2003 compilation as well as their latest album), Toto - their last two albums and just about anything with HDCD encoding whether your player can unlock the extra bits available on this format or not.

Dire Straits albums are reliably good too.

For great sound + music

Kris Dollimore 02/01/1978 - the best new blues CD I've heard for years, amazing guitarist and natural sound

Eric Bibb- If I needed time - but you probably all have this.

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend . best LP of the 90's - classic power pop

Superb Music but not best sound

jason falkner - can you still feel
eric matthews- it's heavy in here
Cotton Mahter - Kontiki

Just 3 albums that's a tough one, if you asked me next week it might change but here are 3 for now...

Bighouse - Woodstock Nation
Kind of country blues but don't let that put you off, for a non audiophile label this is pretty good. Check out the track Buck These Haggard Blues for that chugging bass line.

Greg Brown - Further In
America's best kept secret, this one is more folk blues and features a great vocal sound. Check out the track Small Dark Movie.

Porcupine Tree - Signify
The 2 disc remaster is just excellent, say no more

Good call on the Ray Bryant just checked that out and added it to my wishlist. I wonder if the stories are true the origins of the recording are a humble cheap audio tape recorded by the sound engineer.

And I'll check out Jude Cole always on the lookout for a decent singer songwriter

Cheers
Mike

FWIW, I've always thought Steve Earle's 'Train a comin'' sounds utterly fantastic. All acoustic blues/bluegrass/folk and very well mastered and recorded. Great LP too.

Sam Prekop -- "Who's Your New Professor?"

Chicago indie-art-pop. Prekop is also the front-man for Sea and Cake. Smartly ambiguous lyrics sung to tight, richly layered, complex, somteimes jazzy, pop. His eponymous album (prduced by Jim O'Rourke) is also very good, both soncially and musically. Archer Prewitt, his longtime collabortor in both outifts is also a good bet. A bit poppier, but great, tight, musical stuff -- get "Wilderness." All of their albums sound great.

Kelly Joe Phelps -- Tunesmith Retrofit.

Portland, OR based solo blues balladeer. Phelp's harmonies are often rambling and unpredictable yet true to his story-telling style. He has a light, signature, way on acoustic guitar which conveys amzing emotion. His guitars skill are very good. I just saw him live and was completely transfixed the entire show. Seems like a swell guy too. I have the vinyl which sounds fantastic.

cheers,
daniel

Patricia Barber on CD.

Try 'Cafe Bleu', and 'Companion'

'Too Rich for My Blood' is an album track that not only gives me goosebumps but almost the Big 'O'. Will be played at my funeral, amongst others.This is definitive 'F' tape music.

Try her out with 'Light My Fire' . Technically, this should have been heresy, but it's not.

'Ode to Billy Joe' done to plucked double bass and finger snaps. Captivating is the only way to describe it.

I swear, when this woman is singing, the room is full of smoke and she is close enough that you can see up her skirt. I've said here before, that she pushes all of my buttons at the same time on some of this material.

Audio engineering par excellence.

advertisement

Back