advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I stumbled onto this incredible upgrade a few weeks ago when I began experimenting with interfaces that might reduce the amount of energy going into the floor from my Tannoys. Among a few things I tried were pieces of Addis sink mat protection stuff (see pic below).

332201-addis-cushioned-sink-protector-circle-grey.jpg

Not only did placing pieces of this stuff beneath my speakers reduce the amount of energy going into the floor, it also had a remarkable effect on the presentation itself: everything seemed to have much more clarity and focus, including the bass, which was now firmly planted within the soundstage. However, something wasn’t right. I couldn’t put my finger on it at the time but I now have an idea as to what it was: the Addis stuff is pretty firm so I reckon there was microscopic ‘bounce’ going on as I don’t think my speakers are perfectly flat underneath.

So I went and put some small sticky-on bumpers (you know, the sort you put on kitchen cupboard doors to stop them banging when they close) on the Addis stuff and tried that. Wow! With the speakers sitting nice and flat, like they’re perfectly seated in a bespoke saddle, the Addis stuff instantly worked its magic. And it is magic! For the record, I’d already tried using those sticky-on bumpers by themselves and the results were okay, but nothing special.

So what does it sound like? All that focus and clarity was back but with a compelling presentation that simply sounds magical, almost as if fairies had sprinkled magic dust on it. I say magical because music now seems to be matierialisng from another dimension. I know, that sounds like crazy talk. But that’s how it sounds.

I now realise I was onto the right idea with talk of an interdimensional presentation, but I had it the wrong way around. It’s not that the Addis pads and sticky-on bumpers make music materialise from another dimension - it's that they take you to another dimension: they take you into the recording room when the music was recorded!

Like I say, I know this sounds like crazy talk, but there really is something magical going on with the Addis pad + sticky-on bumper combo.

I’ve put this combo under the speakers in my bedroom and I’m getting the same results. I’ve even tried using different kinds of sticky-on bumpers and I’m still getting the same results. And I’ve also put this combo under my turntables as well. Basically, I’ve put it under everything with moving parts.

The Addis sink mat protection stuff is available at B&M for £2.50 - that’s right, two pounds fifty! Am I crazy? Or have I just discovered probably the greatest single upgrade ever... in the world???

Edit: in usage, simply take 8 pads and put a sticky-on bumper onto each pad and then place one pad under the corners of your speakers.

Last edited:
I forgot to say my speakers are Tannoy Legacy Eaton and they each weigh 20kg. And when it comes to sticky-on bumpers, large ones don't really work as they somehow dampen the music and break the spell.

No reason to doubt this - and I'm guessing results would vary for everyone depending on kit, stands, room, ears, belief systems etc.

I'm tempted to stick some under my Altecs. Though perhaps a pack of Blu-Tac would do the job too.

Have you considered repackaging them as Magic Quantum Cryro Reference Sink Mats for £80 a pack?

advertisement

Back