advertisement

Audio Magic Blue Dot - foo?

The only thing that foxed me was no protection diode in series with the led...as surely an led can't take 380v reverse bias...can it? Same with the above circuit...
Yes, when I last played with LEDs (long ago) they had reverse breakdown voltages not too far above their forward conduction voltages.

So if there's just one diode in the LED package then yes, with AC it will go into breakdown half the time, but the resistor limits the current. I think this is OK but it won't emit for half the time.

AIUI, you can get LEDs nowadays with two diodes back-to-back in a package. So the forward voltage of one will stop the other going into breakdown in either polarity. This is used for bi-colour LEDs but maybe you can also get two-diode LEDs with the same colour on both polarities. I haven't looked.

Would that not generate a lot of heat, maybe enough to melt the hot glue?
Yes I think it will dissipate up to 2.6W on UK mains power and it will indeed be toasty inside the box. However I have never used hot-melt glue so I don't know if that will cause a problem. A US mains version would be much cooler.

“In order to be America's #1 rated cables and power conditioners, we have gone to great lengths to assure you, the customer, get the best product available for your money!”

Anyone care to explain this:

“The theory about Pulsed Electron Alignment is based on how electrons spin. They spin either up or down in a phenomenon called spintronics. When there are billions of electrons all spinning their own way, it can create chaos in and around components. By aligning the electrons, you create a more efficient space and eliminate noise. This means that your listening experience is more realistic, with a more musical presentation featuring tighter, more dynamic bass, highs that are delicate and more natural and beautiful midranges. These take your system to a whole new level, and they work for everyone! Our PEAs do not include batteries but do have optional power supplies, so you don't need batteries.”

Apparently you need three: $1500 each.

Ah it seems the Blue Dot is a compromise product, poor show, I mean I completely bought that I needed a Pulse Gen ZX inside all my HiFi boxes to cancel noise however when I realised the Blue Dot had carelessly incorporated the Pulse Gen ZX inside a separate ground box that was too big to fit inside by boxes ... I was gutted.

If I were wealthier I’d buy better gear, possibly vintage, not stupid accessories only designed for gullible audiophiles.

If you look on flickr the resolution is better - there's a diode in the line to the LED, just after the hotmelt blob as last junction to LED

Yes I think it will dissipate up to 2.6W on UK mains power and it will indeed be toasty inside the box. However I have never used hot-melt glue so I don't know if that will cause a problem. A US mains version would be much cooler.
This is why I expect it has holes drilled into the side of the box to help it keep cool. A resistor that size for the current that will be drawn through it wouldn't Id have thought get that warm. The name is quite apt & certainly not far off the truth.

“In order to be America's #1 rated cables and power conditioners, we have gone to great lengths to assure you, the customer, get the best product available for your money!”

“The theory about Pulsed Electron Alignment is based on how electrons spin. They spin either up or down in a phenomenon called spintronics. When there are billions of electrons all spinning their own way, it can create chaos in and around components. By aligning the electrons, you create a more efficient space and eliminate noise. This means that your listening experience is more realistic, with a more musical presentation featuring tighter, more dynamic bass, highs that are delicate and more natural and beautiful midranges. These take your system to a whole new level, and they work for everyone! Our PEAs do not include batteries but do have optional power supplies, so you don't need batteries.”

Alex, I think all they are saying is Give PEAs a Chance.

I’m no physicist but I would imagine that if you somehow aligned the electrons as described the box would disappear through the wall at the speed of light leaving smouldering ruins behind it!

Why is the copper earthing plate covered with glued on crystals & not something more sensible (even more hot glue) for what I assume is for protection?

advertisement

Back