advertisement

Three albums to make your system sing.

If you want to expand your musical horizons...

Talk Talk Colour Of Spring

Superbly recorded slice of good old English misery :)

Patricia Barber on CD.

Try 'Cafe Bleu', and 'Companion'

Try her out with 'Light My Fire' . Technically, this should have been heresy, but it's not.

I swear, when this woman is singing, the room is full of smoke and she is close enough that you can see up her skirt.
Audio engineering par excellence.

Great choice agree entirely, especially that smouldering version of Light my Fire. But she's not exactly eye candy so I'll pass on the skirt viewing.

On a similar vein Holly Cole is another top engineering job, if you've not heard Dark Dear Heart or Don't smoke in Bed you should.

Cheers
Mike

Goldfrapp- Supernature
The Motels- Motels
Lou Reed-Transformer

All good music and my copies at least, great recordings.

Jonathan

Ah, remember the times when that first album was a benchmark for testing the LP12?

Her first is a great album. "Pop-Pop" is mellower, more of a jazz album, but it has been a benchmark for my LP12 of late.

Her latest, "The Sermon on Exposition Boulevard" is good too. A very un-obnoxious, un-coercive rumination on her personal return to God. Albums' sonics are up to her usual high standrds.

dn'l

Both statements are understatements :)
Why do I think you live in PDX? Do you go see him much?
Daniel

I'm in Eugene, just south of P-town. Oddly, I met him once, but have never gotten to see him playing live. Just missed him a couple of weeks ago. He was here in town; I was in San Diego. <weeping smiley>

I'm in Eugene, just south of P-town. Oddly, I met him once, but have never gotten to see him playing live. Just missed him a couple of weeks ago. He was here in town; I was in San Diego. <weeping smiley>

It's a good show. His playing, already great on his albums, really bowled me over live. I was entranced.

I was very nearly arrested at a Dead show in Eugene in 1990 <freaked-out dead-head smiley> But Eugene's finest took pity on me.

daniel

cd's i always seem to play to make my system sound nice if anyone listens for first time are

nils lofgren acoustic live -keith don't go

eric clapton unplugged -any song they're all great

(odd one this)- frente marvin the fish, track 2 labour of love. probably about 5 or 6 really nice tracks on this album.first heard of the band on aussie soap home and away many years ago!!

Tim Finn - Before & After: if you haven't got it then you need it.
Nice tip for the Tim Finn 'Before & After' album, especially liked track 2- protected, thanks.

eric clapton unplugged -any song they're all great
Yes... track 13 'Old love' is my favourite, whole album is most excellent.

Going to copy and paste all the reccomends in a word doc and try to get a listen to all of them, thanks guys, keep em coming.

There is nothing worse than buying an album because it sounds good on your system. Surely you should buy music because you like it?

If we all went out and only purchased albums that sounded good on our systems then we would all be sat around listening to the likes of Brothers In Arms or Dark Side Of The Moon.

Posts like this are the exact reason why I never go to hifi shows. There are only so many times you can listen to different manufacturers trying to out-do each other with Norah Jones, Nils Lofgren and Eva Cassidy.

I look forward to the day when someone has the guts to play some decent music at a hifi show instead of all the usual pre-scripted stuff.

"Hey listen to this, it sounds amazing. It's a CD of a guy banging on a garage door, opening it, going into the garage, closing the door and then talking from inside his garage. It's not very interesting, but you have to admit, it sounds great".

"Hey listen to this, it sounds amazing. It's a CD of a guy banging on a garage door, opening it, going into the garage, closing the door and then talking from inside his garage. It's not very interesting, but you have to admit, it sounds great".

I think I have that one if its Yamataka Eye... there's a fair bit of screaming on it too I recall...

There is nothing worse than buying an album because it sounds good on your system. Surely you should buy music because you like it?
Do you not think i have a decent collection of stuff that i just simply like.

Of the three albums i mentioned in my intro post, two of them i love because i just love em. (Jude Cole & Jeff Buckley)

Mighty Sam McClain though, gets in their because it sounds bloody brilliant.

I wouldnt normally dig gospelly type stuff but i sit in awe at the quality of it's recording and production, if it were a crap recording i would probablly never listen to it ....

Hardly a crime against hi fi.

I must buy that, who performed it ?

There are only so many times you can listen to different manufacturers trying to out-do each other with Norah Jones, Nils Lofgren and Eva Cassidy.
Exactly the reason i made the post, i wanted to find some hidden gems, their are some albums i will buy from this thread that i would probablly not have without a nudge and as it happens i'm going to give the Tim Finn album another listening too when i have finished on my PC.

As one poster mentioned, he is going to try the Jude Cole album, great album, well recorded, my guess is that he will love it.

Posts like this are the exact reason why I never go to hifi shows.
Well take some of your own music, i do and the majority of the demonstrators seem only to pleased to listen to someone else's music.

Hope this helps.

I've just seen a bunch of Kelly Joe's on Amazon as they seem to be very cheap at the moment from the alternative suppliers. Maybe of interest.

Oh, I will add an old favorite that pays off on system upgrades;- Lambchop, "Is a woman".

Alternative TV, Live at the Rat Club.

The Fall, Totale's Turns

Throbbing Gristle, Thee Psychick Sacrifice

-- Ian

advertisement

Back