advertisement

Ergo E-IX owners' club

Sorry to be late to the party. I only just found this thread. Count me as a very happy owner. My pair is in my man cave as part of my vinyl rig (where it's safe from pets).

Q1: Are you a current or past owner of E-IXs? Yes, current

Q2: Which crossover variant do/did you have (free-space or wall-mount)? Wall mount

Q3: What amplifier (including rated power) do/did you use with your E-IXs? Various Avondale-modded Naim amps with one circuit per driver into a split Xover = 2 stereo amps.

Q4: What do/did you most like and/or dislike about the E-IX? Like the natural integration of the sound. Dislike lack of grunt (but they're not meant for that).

Q5: If I should design another Ergo, what would you like to see? Ability to integrate with subs or 3-way design. I'm ready for a BIG project.

Upcoming changes:
  1. Actual wall mounts rather than just stands very close to the wall
  2. A full-on Avondale SE400 dual mono bespoke build to dedicate to this system.
  3. Upgrading X-over components
Thank you for your efforts, James!

Q4: What do/did you most like and/or dislike about the E-IX? Like the natural integration of the sound. Dislike lack of grunt (but they're not meant for that).
They actually have amazing grunt on the end of the SE230, so the SE400 should make you very happy. ;)

For awesome gravitas, you could always change the XO to the free-space variant. Mine (free-space) gives the Yamaha NS-1000M a run for its money when suitably driven by a 100+W amp.

I am now running the E-IX with Witch Hat Phoenix board. It is now produce even more bottom end grunt and coherent midrange & sweet treble. This mini monitor is amazing. Thank to the creator, James.

Just be careful with how loudly you play, especially bass-heavy signals, when pushing the E-IXs. As good as the 15W driver is (shame it is now discontinued by Scan-speak) it is easy to exceed its +/- 9mm mechanical excursion limits.

No worries, I am listening at moderate level...volume knob never pass 9.30. at 10 o'clock volume it is already very loud. So far I never reach the 9mm max excursion yet.

FWIW mine have excellent low end response. But...it was not there right away. It took almost a year for them to break in fully and have the low end that they now have. This is one of the very few speakers I've had over the years that I have not grown tired of. It continues to put a smile on my face.

advertisement

Back