advertisement

I enjoy them very much, I bought them without listening first. It took a bight of time to get used to as a BBC-Monitor because the voices are in one frequency range a bit darker and they are in general a bit more colored but the rest is so fantastic, emotional engaging, vivid and 3 dimensional that I think it is worth in trade in. There is no perfect speaker or other component and this is a real exceptional speaker to me.

very nice to know - enjoy!

In that case the obvious thing to do is build a 4-channel 'Quad' system ;-)

(2)%20Surround-sound-2-web.jpg

More: https://www.michaelgerzonphotos.org.uk/surround-sound-from-two-channel-stereo.html

I have a memory of these Quads from about 1970.

I attended private physics A-level lessons and the tutor kindly allowed us to play a few sides before the tuition itself.

Unfortunately I failed the subsequent exam - too much distraction??

:(

Part one of living room refurb.

Moved system to long wall (a 90 degree spin), new tv cabinet (tv away being repaired), fireplace/old gas fire to come out (just blanking it off), old surround system to be revamped, maybe just to a sound bar initially, new window, new sofas, flooring, lighting etc.

769-A00-E8-6-FC2-4-DAC-ABF4-5-CC64-CF5-EBDE.jpg

Just to add, as simple as it gets, a Chromecast Audio, run off a battery charger, into a Tisbury passive pre, Quad 306 power, Spendor S3/5R2, playing Spotify, controlled with IPhone. (BK Electronics XLS200 sub., not in use at the moment).

Phil, I've been toying with the idea of a Tisbury passive into a Quad 306 when I eventually move house. I'd be interested in how you think they perform? I'd probably be using a similar type of speaker too. (My wife doesn't like the size of the Kef Carlton 2's that I drag out from storage every now and again for a listen)

Phil, I've been toying with the idea of a Tisbury passive into a Quad 306 when I eventually move house. I'd be interested in how you think they perform? I'd probably be using a similar type of speaker too. (My wife doesn't like the size of the Kef Carlton 2's that I drag out from storage every now and again for a listen)

Hi Wulbert,

I bought it mainly on price, just to get going, but also having read that they’re pretty decent.

I wish I had something to compare it to, so as to be able to give you an opinion on it but I don’t I’m afraid.

It sounds OK to me, but might be naff compared to something better, I don’t really know. It seems transparent, as recordings come through good and bad, but again, I’ve nothing to compare it to. Sorry, best I can do to help, hope you find something suitable.

Hi Wulbert,

I bought it mainly on price, just to get going, but also having read that they’re pretty decent.

I wish I had something to compare it to, so as to be able to give you an opinion on it but I don’t I’m afraid.

It sounds OK to me, but might be naff compared to something better, I don’t really know. It seems transparent, as recordings come through good and bad, but again, I’ve nothing to compare it to. Sorry, best I can do to help, hope you find something suitable.

Thanks. A bit like you, I've not got/had masses of gear for comparison. I usually just go with whether it sounds good enough. Nice, simple set up you have there.

H1TYlxs.md.jpg

Finally got the Sonus Fabers off the floor. Couldn't find any stands I liked – everything looked like, well, speaker stands – so I made my own. Two sets of hairpin legs, two cutting boards, mark 'em, drill 'em, screw 'em. About $50 each.

They won't be to everyone's taste, and there's no hi-fi pedigree to brag about. But my system inhabits a visual space as well as an aural one, and this is what I did.

H1TYlxs.md.jpg

Finally got the Sonus Fabers off the floor. Couldn't find any stands I liked – everything looked like, well, speaker stands – so I made my own. Two sets of hairpin legs, two cutting boards, mark 'em, drill 'em, screw 'em. About $50 each.

They won't be to everyone's taste, and there's no hi-fi pedigree to brag about. But my system inhabits a visual space as well as an aural one, and this is what I did.

This looks like an amazing place to listen to music.

H1TYlxs.md.jpg

The room and set up look great! I am all for DIY stands but intrigued by the variation in the legs - same legs but one set upside down?

The room and set up look great! I am all for DIY stands but intrigued by the variation in the legs - same legs but one set upside down?

Maybe the further just happens to be lined up so that one leg of the hairpin occludes the other, making it look like a single leg. Looks very nice regardless.

Yes, I count eight legs on the nearer speaker six on the further, outer two looking slightly thicker, so case closed.

I have a Tisbury and a 306 set aside for future evaluation (interesting contrast with my Naim rig...). Only issue is that the 306 has been unused for at least seven years.

advertisement

Back