advertisement

Collaro audio precision turntable mat.

I’ve had a red Collaro on my LP12 for a few weeks now. There are positives. Bit more detail, better separation, it’s nicer to touch and use and I like the red!
Having bought loads of mats for various turntables over the years, some work, some don’t, the majority just offer minor changes. Never is it the radical difference a lot would have you believe. Anyway I’ve spent £100 on worse things - so I’ll keep it.
Will post back here when I revert to the Linn mat in a few weeks/months. Did I say I really like red?

Changing the subject a little, I bought the Vertere Techno mat a month or so ago but the dimensions of this mat turn out to be to wide & as such does not fit within the periphery of the raised platter lip so I have had to send it back whether likeable or not - how can you judge something that doesn't lay completely flat?

Anyhow with the forth coming refund I am now considering the equally expensive Hexmat, Yellow bird rather than the Eclipse since that is ridiculously expensive. Has any body had experience of this?

Could somebody explain to me why these aren’t snake oil? LP12 forums are raving about them, I’ve not tried one but I’m unconvinced it’s worth £100 to find out

They’re not snake oil because they do sound different to the standard Linn Matt. Whether it’s a difference you like, or one that you think is worth the expense is up to the individual.

Well I've not tried one but a friend who has tried just about everything uses a Collaro and says it's by far the best he's experienced but he did get it at mate's rates.
He runs a SL1200G and a rather beautiful 301 .

Heard one a few times on an lp12.
I couldn’t detect any difference other than what I might reasonably expect to hear from a slight change in VTA.
Then again I’ve got a mate who hears a difference depending on which way up the standard linn felt mat lies, so maybe I’m a bit deaf.
Compared to other “upgrades” that Linn owners pay for, £100 is small fry.

They’re not snake oil because they do sound different to the standard Linn Matt. Whether it’s a difference you like, or one that you think is worth the expense is up to the individual.
Unless he/she doesn't have £100 for a 10 pound product ofc.

Standard business school graduation advice:
Find a product which people expect to be able to 'improve'.
Search for the latest marketing fads and make sure you follow at least 1 of these.
make your product and a decent profit
Start dreaming of that Yacht.

I have one here. It certainly does make a difference. I agree it's probably similar to a slight change in VTA and tracking force but it is a change.

In HI-Fi terms I felt it was clearly better than the Linn mat. Better tonality, smoother top end etc. Not a huge difference but it was there. What I found swapping back and forth though was that I was getting into the music more with the Linn mat. I found it more involving.

I still have the Collaro mat here but I've not used it in months. Is it worth £100? In material terms, not even slightly. In sonic terms? For me, still no but many audiophiles are conditioned to spend a lot more than £100 on differences this small. Those guys may love it.

I started a thread on this already. Vta is most likely the difference.
Surely if you know enough about this hobby to think a mat may make a difference, you’d understand that a cartridge needs correct VTA and make the required adjustments before any listening tests? If not, then ?

advertisement

Back