advertisement

Which component has the most effect on 'holographic' sound

Speakers.

Many years ago, about 1979 I reckon, I was idly walking through a hifi shop in central Manchester and there was a pair of ESL 57 speakers just plonked on the shop floor. The sound they were creating was ethereal and hanging in the air - simply stunning. I was amazed. Never been able to quite get that at home. Never had enough room for Electrostatics.

I was almost as impressed at a Heathrow show several years later with some Audiostatics ES100's playing some Jazz that I would normally never listen to. Really really good.

Ethereal, yeah that’s what I’m after, at least for some music. Will try a bit of speaker placement fun this weekend.

The combo of my Philips CD850ii plus A60 plus LS3/5as is astounding as each has great imaging. Having returned to the A60 I get excellent soundstaging from mid field as opposed to the Yamaha amplifier which demands very near field listening or a higher volume for a good result. And this is with the speakers 8-10” from the wall. (I do have a small room though, about 2.5m across.)

Don’t forget the “deep” button!

A pity not all components have these controls…:p

I had an all-in-one cassette player yonks ago, speaker at each end jobby.

It had the 'wide' button ... weirdly, it worked - and the effect was quite spectacular and probably the best stereo effect I've ever experienced (without LSD)

pedant alert :D

... describing the stereo effect as 'holographic' or '3D' is just saying 'stereo stereo'
(just saying...)

I had an all-in-one cassette player yonks ago, speaker at each end jobby.

It had the 'wide' button ... weirdly, it worked - and the effect was quite spectacular and probably the best I've ever experienced (without LSD)
Oh I remember those now! I wasn’t enamoured much as it made for a too phasey effect.

My best experience was in the late stage of a mighty cactus trip. I didn’t want it to end! The clarity was astonishing. OTOH the trip at its peak was far too much for musical enjoyment.

Apart from the drugs and alcohol, definitely the speakers and where you put them and yourself. And the recording of course.

Agree but it must surely be mostly the recording, it’s a studio effect that is added as part of the production. I love a 3D image but it’s hardly what you’d call a reproduction of the live experience. For me, it’s HiFi’s biggest WOW moment.

I've never worked out whether stereo imaging is a realistic phenomenon or just a clever production trick. My instinct is that there are examples of both.

There are some cracking 1950's and 60's jazz recordings where you can really place the players. Surely this was too early for the kinds of techniques that can be used with computing now.

In relation to the latter, there's great fun to be had with a set of headphones and the various 8d tracks you can pick up off YouTube or Apple's Spatial Audio. Most definitely a production technique in those instances.

The most holographic sound I’ve ever heard was when I was 16,a old amstrad system of my mum and dad’s with a traded copy of assault and battery by Hawkwind off live chronicles,the sound absolutely filled the room,depth,width everything,they were actually in the room,2 double dipped purple ohms was all it took,far cheaper than even a new Ethernet switch.
God only knows why I’ve been chasing the same illusion for 32 years spending a small fortune every now and again,just stick to LSD!

Most of the above answers are true, I think. Decent speakers, well placed in the room is the key point, I think.

What I find interesting is that 'holographic' sound staging is very easy to assess subjectively, it's easy to hear and easy to understand. Bigger is better. Even completely novices/layman's get it if you demonstrate it to them. As opposed to some other subjects devoted by us audiophiles...

I've never worked out whether stereo imaging is a realistic phenomenon or just a clever production trick.

It's mostly the latter. Loudspeakers can be much more directional than the instruments they are reproducing.

Agree but it must surely be mostly the recording, it’s a studio effect that is added as part of the production.

Yes, but the question is about which parts of the chain are responsible for reproducing it. Sure, in production they can do things which result in very strong image placement but you still need to configure your stereo to reproduce the effect. And the system can accentuate the effect even on recordings where imagery was not given precedence.

advertisement

Back