advertisement

Which component has the most effect on 'holographic' sound

The Bish

pfm Member
This has probably been done to death but.....interested to hear opinions on which component affects the level of 3D / holographic sound - preamp, power amp, source, or speakers? I appreciate that type of sound isn't everyone's cup of tea as it can be perceived as being artificial but I like it with some types of music. In my system it's the preamp that has the most effect.

Apart from the drugs and alcohol, definitely the speakers and where you put them and yourself. And the recording of course.

Isolate speakers from floor if you have a suspended floor (and maybe for other types, I've not tried them) that makes quite a big difference in making the speakers "disappear"
Sounds like you might be talking about a digital system but I found different phono stages make quite a difference to how the soundstage is presented too.

Isolate speakers from floor if you have a suspended floor (and maybe for other types, I've not tried them) that makes quite a big difference in making the speakers "disappear"
Sounds like you might be talking about a digital system but I found different phono stages make quite a difference to how the soundstage is presented too.
Can I ask what method you used to isolate your speakers please?

Can I ask what method you used to isolate your speakers please?

Some DIY footers I made to try to mimic the effect of the Townshend pods. I expect the Townshends (and Gaia's) are much better but mine were very cheap and are less obtrusive. I posted them in the DIY section on here a couple of years ago but can't find the link.

Setting your speakers up. Listen on axis, just a touch closer to the speakers than they are apart. And not too far away.

This. Holographic imagery is a Hi-Fi ****azoid trick that does not exist in the real world. You get it by having the sound from the speakers as directional as possible and reducing reflected sound as much as possible. So buying very directional speakers with poor treble dispersal is a good start, horn tweeters for instance. Get them away from the walls and point them straight at your head. Isolate them from the floor if you can and damp the heck out of the room with expensive audiophile cushions.

You'll then be able to hear a fly cross the studio in pin-point accuracy, provided you do not move your head an inch either way. It'll sound nothing like real life but it'll impress the uninitiated no end.

Speakers.

Many years ago, about 1979 I reckon, I was idly walking through a hifi shop in central Manchester and there was a pair of ESL 57 speakers just plonked on the shop floor. The sound they were creating was ethereal and hanging in the air - simply stunning. I was amazed. Never been able to quite get that at home. Never had enough room for Electrostatics.

I was almost as impressed at a Heathrow show several years later with some Audiostatics ES100's playing some Jazz that I would normally never listen to. Really really good.

No pictures though :(
Sorry, those are long gone I think. It's really simple though: 1 inch strip of inner tube stretched over a metal tea light holder then the spikes of your speaker stands rest on the bit of rubber that's stretched over the top of the cup. (replace the spikes with coach bolts to spread the load a bit more, use two strips of inner tube for heavier speakers) I'll take some pics and pm you if that helps but there's not much to it really.

Sorry, those are long gone I think. It's really simple though: 1 inch strip of inner tube stretched over a metal tea light holder then the spikes of your speaker stands rest on the bit of rubber that's stretched over the top of the cup. (replace the spikes with coach bolts to spread the load a bit more, use two strips of inner tube for heavier speakers) I'll take some pics and pm you if that helps but there's not much to it really.
That's a great description, thank you very much.

I'm gonna need some strong inner tubes, Fortes weigh a bit.

advertisement

Back